Feeling Empty and Depressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So I have never been on a forum like this, but I thought it might help to see other people stories and share mine.

I am in my first year of college and I've kinds of been struggling with depression and anxiety and just not feeling happy. I play a sport so I have a good group of friends with them. I party with the team a lot and I am close with several people on the team. However, I still feel left out sometimes. There are 8 freshman and I'm really close with one of them. Then the other freshman are split into 2 groups of 3 that are close, but they also hang out together. So sometimes it is 6 of the freshman, but not me and my friend. I'll see them on snapchat or whatever hanging out and I just feel really down. On top of that my other friend on the soccer team has a lot of non athlete friends, so its not like we are hanging out all the time. there is this group of freshman on another sports team that I really like, but I'm not that close with them and I only hang out with them with my friend on the soccer team. So a lot of the time I feel like everyone has someone to hang out with or something to do and I'm just alone in my dorm. I have a room mate, but we aren't really friends. She has a boyfriend.

I think I struggle getting close to people because I'm always afraid I'm bothering them. I'm am never sure if I'm really wanted so I tend not to reach out to people to make plans. I just don't have a lot of self confidence, which is another problem. So if someone else make plans, I'll go along, I'm just not good at initiating them. I also over think things a lot. I'm just afraid that people don't really want to hang out with me.

Also in the beginning of the year I didn't really try to make friends outside my team, like with people in my dorm or classes. Now I feel like everyone has already made friends and there isn't as much opportunity to do so. Part of the reason is I struggled adjusting to college. I am a little introverted, so I do need some time alone, but even when I don't want to be alone, I have trouble finding people to hang out. When I am alone in my dorm I feel like I am missing out. I am close with one of the other freshman on the team, but I don't like hanging out with her when she's with her other two good friends on the team because I just feel left out.

I'm only in my first year of college, so I'm hoping things get better. But its really hard to meet new people and go out when I feel depressed all the time. I mean I do have a really good time when I'm at parties with my team or hanging out, but I feel like I don't have anyone to hang out with when I'm not in big groups so I get even more depressed.

I know this post is kind of all over the place, but I just have so much stuff in my head.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

First years in College are a little bit confusing it is a new place where you are beginning a new life, you seem to have people to mix with and I understand making a real friend takes time, Sad to say you are still in that period of college where you are still making a college life for yourself.
  • Posted

Sorry I pressed the wrong key

Give yourself more time be natural with those around you, you have the same interests so eventually you will make friends out of aquaintances, You have a longish term to Easter so give it time with these people they are most probably feeling the same way as you and once they get settled you will find college is a really good place to make friends.

Generally at college they have a health centre, if needed have words there with their nurse councillor and just let out what is bothering you.

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Sorry to hear your story. There should be some sort of "well being" provision within your college. Maybe you could have a chat with your tutor, they should be able to sign post you to other support services.

Are there any societies or groups that you could join? They would give you the opportunity to meet some new friends.

What about maybe looking at some volunteering? If you have a students union could you maybe go there are and see what options they can suggest?

Be brace and reach out! You might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

** that should read be brave!
    • Posted

I do want to join a volunteering club next semester. There is a fair for different volunteering oppurtunities that I'm going to next week.

• Posted

honey i wont say that i am sorry to hear it cz im actually not.. i have been through this same situation.. n it was the best.. when u r going through these things u feel depressed but its ur move to feel depressed.. ur life is changing.. embrace this change.. u have to pass this time that is for sure.. n if u have to pass it y dnt u pass it happily n learn how to enjoy being alone... love ur self smile u r valued smile the ppl dnt want to hangout with u or dnt pay attention are not ur people ... n u dnt have to settle for less thn u deserve .. u r special like others smile ... yah may be u dnt opn so quickly but there are people like u.. stop just finding them and be a little extrovert.. dnt chase.. but just show interest n open the door.. and observe.. n whn u like someone as ur friend start talking,  passing smiles will be good.. change a bit of ur attitude not because u want people to like u but ur self.. go out.. cafes or anything .. observe nature.. feel fresh ..

by the time hopefully u will feel all happy again

n most important thing dnt ruin what u have for the things u dnt have.. make a list of the things u have n be grateful of that smile

i hope u feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.