Knee replacement pain meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm on waiting list for tkr on rt knee.

?I have a lot of pain and bakers cyst that has ruptured.

?I recently had gallbladder removed and I'm not good with painkillers due to digestive problems and reactions, cannot take NSAID meds, codeine etc. All I can take is paracetamol, which does not do much.

?Reading about the knee surgery I realised how painful it will be and everyone tells us to take the meds or we won't manage. I'm wondering how it will be manageable. Has anyone gone though a tkr with this situation?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you asked your surgeon what other things you could take for pain. Maybe there something you don't know about yet.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I had a spinal for my TKR anesthesia. I ended up with a spinal leak and a spinal headache. I was so sick with it that I ended up having an epidural blood patch which worked immediately. My hospital stay was lengthened 4 days and during that time I didn't have any pain medication. The ice kept things manageable. Tylenol was my go to drug. Most of the pain I experienced was an aching feeling. Have a good long talk with your doctor's about your concerns. They want you to be as relaxed as possible and will work to put your mind at ease. Healing thoughts and best wishes for an easy surgery and rehab.

Tammy

• Posted

Cynthia,

I would strongly suggest that you exhaust all other options before considering a TKR!  With your list of meds that you cannot tolerate, you are going to need the constitution of superhuman woman to go through this procedure.  TKR recovery puts a new perspective on the issue of "recovery" as that it is measured in months, not weeks.  Yes, it does get better with time, but you need to emotionally prepare yourself that it WILL be painful, even with pain meds.  It will be hard work, even with diligent physical therapy. It will take patience when you have none left. It will take a strong will and plenty of prayer to get through the emotional roller coaster of depression when you aren't progressing as fast as you thought you would. If you have a strong supportive family behind you, an MD with a kind heart and listening ear and faith that the Lord is the divine physican of all...than go ahead with the TKR...we are all here for you.  But do NOT have a TKR if you are already planning on having problems with it because it will only make it 110% harder than it needs to be.  

I am an RN with orthopedic background and had a TKR 5 months ago. I thought that I would just fly through it...WRONG!  It has been a very long process that I am only just now beginning to feel somewhat "normal". It does get better, but not quickly.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia

I agree with the other posts.

I would speak to your GP regarding your concerns, he/she knows you, your medical history.

Are you still under the hospital for your gall bladder? If so ring your consultant's secretary & ask her to speak to him about it. Get advice from someone other than the surgeon. I cleared everything with endocrinology & oncology before my TKR.

Your ortho surgeon wants to operate, what happens in your recovery doesn't really concern him/her too much. That's when the physicians & pharmacists take over, for pain relief etc.

I've seen my surgeon 3 times, the initial consultation, the operation & post op at about 8 weeks after op. I won't see him again until June '17. I was discharged from hospital by the consultant pharmacist!

I hope you get some reasonable answers & if it has to be operation they can sort you out!

All the very best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks for your responses. I am in the UK and find  that the NHS is so very busy, there seems to be no time or opportunity to speak to the doctors, it has all happened quite fast.

?I had a pre -op assessment but it was also quick and they said the analgesics will be sorted at the time of surgery, but that was my concern - that is would be done and I would be left without any options. I will see if I can find someone to speak to before then.

?I know it is a long recovery and I am concerned about many aspects. If I don't have the tkr, no other options have been suggested, other than pain killers - already have issues with those, I cannot really bear weight or fully straighten my knee, it is bone on bone and I cannot walk far. This was the only reason I have considered the surgery.

?I've tried all kinds of supplements and diets over the years but the osteoarthritis  has only worsened and other joints are now affected - hands, feeet, neck etc. I always used to think it was lifestyle or diet that was to blame but always did everything considered healthy. I think the problems really escalated after I had a hysterectomy due to a twisted ovarian cyst 11 years back and the hormonal changes that occurred seemed to trigger inflammation in my body.

?Good luck to everyone with these conditions!

• Posted

Hello again Cynthia, yes you're right the NHS is very busy but as you have genuine concerns, make a double appt with your GP & go through it with them. Yes they're busy but they are caring professionals & they really do want to help their patients. Given a longer appt they can really speak to you, hopefully reassure you.

You may have to wait a while to get it. At my surgery for a non urgent appt it can be up to 2 weeks wait. Can you book online? It's much easier as you can see in front of you what appts are on offer & with whom.

Cherish the NHS, yes there are waiting lists, yes not enough staff, but it's still wonderful all things considered!

Good luck

Marilyn

• Posted

Have you tried glucosamine in the liquid form? There's a another liquid called "Noni juice and this is supposed to help with joint pain just wish I had remembered this before my tkr. Be blessed

• Posted

I have had two TKRs in last five months and don't do well with pain meds, migraines, vomiting, etc. I took two Dilaudid 2mg every 4-6 hours and wore a nausea patch behind my ear and it worked. Also took two Tylenol 650mg every 8 hours. The stomach digestive with opioids is rough. Take the softeners every day and drink tons of water. I kept a case of it next to my bed and just kept drinking. Good luck, ice and elevation are your best friends. I bought a foam wedge online and slept with my legs elevated, and used it during day when icing. If you can, rent a GameReady ice/compression unit, WELL WORTH IT!!!! Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.