Exercising with HSV1 Genital Herpes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with HSV1 genital herpes.The test showed that I I was exposed recently and negative for any previous exposure. I walk and run a lot, about six miles per day. So my question is how is my exercise going to be affected? I've read that sun exposure and running can trigger outbreaks. I'm just beginning to feel better, my first outbreak was horrific.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would not change your routine. Keep doing what you do. Exercise is excellent for the immune system.
    • Posted

Thanks, I've only been walking some with this outbreak, running would have been painful. Anxious to get back to running at least once a week.

• Posted

Were you diagnosed by swab and IgG? Sunlight should have no impact on genital herpes, as I believe it's *direct* sunlight that can be triggering for some people with *oral* herpes. I have never heard of sunlight triggering genital herpes, plus I doubt you'd be getting direct sunlight unless you walk or run around nude! Friction and stress (including physical stress from too much exercise) can be potential triggers, but not for everyone, and gHSV1 is far less likely to recur, so i would not change anything in your routine unless it proves to be an issue. Maybe just take it a little easier the first month or two.

• Posted

I was swabbed, negative for hsv2 but positive for hsv1 oral to genital. I sincerely hope I don't have any recurrences like this one, I cried for 15 minutes each time I went potty. Thanks so much for your reply.

• Posted

Most people with gHSV1 only get recurrences about once a year, if that, and they are usually way milder than the first outbreak. Typically, a recurrence may only comprise a lesion or two, without burning urination, swollen nodes, flu-like symptoms, etc. Healing is a lot quicker, too, usually well within a week.
    • Posted

Those are comforting words; this first outbreak has been a doozy. By the fifth day, I was crying for 15 minutes every time I went potty. I am opting for daily suppressives. I cannot handle this again. Thank you so much for responding.
    • Posted

You might want to hold off on the daily suppressive meds and see how it goes, as it's not really required for gHSV1 due to its low recurrence rate, lower shedding and reduced odds of transmission via intercourse (oral HSV1 is more infectious than gHSV1!). Usually such meds are for gHSV2, or anyone with frequently recurring herpes (anywhere, either type, if unlucky to get it often).

• Posted

Ok thank you so much, this has gotten me down to the point that I never want to be intimate with anyone again, I love this guy but this has instilled a fear in me I've never known before. He was unaware that he had HSV1.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.