SUDDEN BLADDER INCONTINENCE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I'm an elderly 74 and I'm so embarrassed. I'm on here looking for not just help but to heasr from someonbe who is going through this.

I've had spine degeneration for decades and because of periodic sharp pain in my leg I had an MRI a year ago which my doctor said was really poor.. (The nerves weren't quite trapped but not much space).

A month ago I started getting constant pain in my groin which has now spread all down my thigh and sometimes the knee. I then couldn't walk properly, just limped.Last night was the first night I had no sleep due to this terrible pain and this morning I came home with wet knickers! I was sooo ashamed. I just felt the wetness,  I had no desire toneed the loo.

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and I'm wondering if something can be done to free this trapped nerve(s)  without resorting to surgery. I'm a normal weight and I don't smoke.

Thank you if anyone has anything to say about this. I can't believe what has happened today sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, first I'm sorry you are experiencing this, don't feel ashamed. I am not a medical professional but doing research prior to my surgery I did read of something called cauda equina syndrome that can affect the bladder and bowels. It sounds like the l4, l5 nerve is probably involved if you are feeling pain or weakness in those parts of your legs/feet. The fact that you cannot control your bladder would be concerning to me and I would seek medical treatment sooner than later because they might be able to do something to help you and free the nerve and hopefully not cause any permanent damage?

i know surgery is scary and perhaps there might be alternatives like injections but once my legs started going numb and I couldn't walk correctly I knew surgery was the only option, unfortunately I think I waited too long for surgery because I do have some permanent nerve damage but nothing that I can't live with.  I hope you can get some answers soon.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah. You need to get to the doctors or A&E as soon as you can. It may not be what you have, but sudden incontinence onset with the degeneration you already have and the pain locality with mobility issues *could* be something called Cauda Equina. If it is this it is very important you are treated as soon as possible. The red flag here is your sudden bladder issue and limping. Please don't feel ashamed, you really have absolutely no reason to at all. Please do seek medical attention as you can though. It is better to be checked out helped, than worry about being judged.

Wishing you all the best.

X

• Posted

There may be none invasive treatment s . There s one where they send electronic impulses to the nerve can't remember the name of the procedure. But may be surgery is the only way forward. Sounds quite bad but I've been there. I am only 40 and I am awaiting further surgery. Good luck

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to read you're having a bad time too at your young age. Did you experience incontinence if you don't mind me asking....

• Posted

Sarah seriously think you should have this checked sooner than Wednesday. I would 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Sorry your going through this and this might not be what you want to hear but you need to be seen to ASAP just incase it is cauda equina, the longer you leave it the more nerve damage is caused, as for feeling embarrassed you really don't need to be as the docs have seen this all before and this is a classic sign of this condition, however the sooner you get it seem to the better, let us k ow how you get on, good luck 😊

• Posted

Sarah, get yourself to A&E now. I've had CQ syndrome but I couldn't pee. It has to be fixed within 48 hours or the damage is permanent. The last thing you want is to have a bag attached.

Get to the hospital now and do not wait until Wednesday. I can't stress this enough.

I stopped peeing on the Monday morning, by Tuesday noon I was in the operating theatre getting it fixed. It's not something to take lightly or wait on it fixing itself.

Keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.