Broke my ankle in 2 places on Tuesday scared about all this

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my ankle in 2 places and dislocated it. I has a Weber C fracture. I had surgery on Thursday and am now home recovering.

I have never broken a bone and do not know what to expect.

I guess it's up to me to change my dressings. I wasn't aware of that.

My biggest question is I am non weight bearing. I have not stepped on it for any reason. Does a boot really keep everything in place

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am so sor to hear of your injury.  It has been just over a year since I had two break and dislocation on my left foot.  It has taken me a long time to recover due to complications with CRPS and my age.  I am 66 years old and things take longer for me.  My suggestion is don't put your foot down for at least 4 weeks, and keep it up as much as possible.  Weight bearing is different for each person but the rule of thumb is usually 6 weeks minimum.  You wil have swelling if you don't elevate your foot during the day.  The boot once put on is to keep your foot stable, not for you to try and walk like normally you did.  It takes time, patience is the key, soaking your foot once the staples/stiches come out helps with it, and so does light massage, more like stroking than rubbing your foot.  Your foot has been through alot of trauma and will take time to heal, but it will heal, just remember all the damage inside the nerves and tendon not to mention your bones knitting back, why people think they will be back to normal in six weeks is not to me very good information like many will tell you on this forum.  Also when it comes to changing your bandage as you ask, I would go to my nurse or doctor for that, if you do not have any insurance issues with regards to care.  I wish you well and hope that you are not in much pain and discomfort.  Take good care, Jannie

• Posted

So sorry to hear this. I am now one year post break and surgery with pins and plates

I had many moments of despair as every day there seems to be a new challenge.

What you need is....... And

PATIENCE - lots of it and make a list of all the questions that arise so that you can address them all with your doctor.

It will get better but it does take from 6 months to a year depending upon your age (I am 68)

Once you have had the stitches removed and once your Physiotherapist or your doctor has given the OK, you can .......

RICE

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

Also, don't attempt to weigh bear until instructed by your physiotherapist or your doctor

I wore a boot for seven weeks 24-hours a day

Keep your foot as elevated as you can, even when you sleep.

I used bio oil in the scar and around the foot

I used a Zimmer frame around the house as crutches were too difficult to manage in the kitchen (they kept falling over!!). The Zimmer frame stays out and I used crutches outside.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks so much. I keep my leg elevated nearly all day. Sleep with it elevated. I will not step on it. I am to afraid too.

This horrible. I have had my moments of bursting into tears over this.

• Posted

Did your doctor say anything about a cast that will be put on later? I'm 12 days post-op and in a plaster splint for a couple of more days then a plaster cast for 4 more weeks of non-weight bearing life. I think many others also got a cast after the first couple of weeks.

Definitely continue to keep your foot elevated and don't put weight on it. It would be a good idea to call your doctor for clarification about the dressing. I was told not to touch mine. It sounds like you didn't get good instructions or that you were a little too "out of it" from the surgery to remember the details.

I can't do crutches too well so I borrowed a knee scooter. That's helped me a lot! If you have trouble with crutches I strongly suggest that you rent or borrow one if you can.

I've never had a cast before so I wasn't sure what to expect either. This forum helped me a lot! Of course, my surgery was planned so I wasn't thrown into the situation without warning as you were. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.