Success stories on lowering blood pressure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to my post. I a 27 year old male. I weigh 195lbs. ~22% body fat. My blood pressure at is 140/90 pretty consistently. I've gone 2 weeks without drinking and I started working out (one hr at the gym 4 times a week). I also started taking magnesium supplements and fish oil. 

Were you able to lower you blood pressure without medications? if so, how, in how much time, and what were your initial and final numbers? 

Thanks! 

-Bob

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your BP does appaear a little high.

Just a couplle of tips. If you drink coffee, ensure that you use the decaffinated version (Will lower it a little). If you enjoy salt, try to reduce your intake.

• Posted

Cutting back sharply on salt has an effect for most people, though it does depend on the underlying cause of your mild hypertension. I'd give that a go first. But don't cut it out entirely, as you're probably sweating quite a bit because of all your workouts. It's impossible to avoid salt completely in any case, as it's in most things! But don't add it at the table and keep use in cooking to an absolute minimum.

Reducing carb intake - especially sugar - works well for a lot of people too. So this, combined with reducing sugar, means keeping junk foods for occasional treats, I'm afraid!

The first supplement you mentioned (naming of which tends to get my posts deleted!) works for some people as well. This, combined with losing about 7kg/15lb, worked well for me about 25 years ago, reducing my BP from 150/90 to 120/80. I've taken it ever since then. It doesn't have any serious side-effects provided it's taken in the recommended dose, but can cause diarrhoea in some people.

Obviously, smoking is a known cause of hypertension - even more than drinking alcohol (which should be taken in moderation anyway, for all sorts of reasons).

Workouts are good, but don't forget that regular, gentler exercise - e.g. a one-hour brisk walk every day - can be very effective. I actually find that a one-hour walk has a more favourable immediate effect on my BP than aerobic exercise. But this might be connected to the fact that my age is the reverse of yours...wink

• Posted

Thank you for your time! 

Great news, this week I've been eating failry healthy. I've been avoiding salt and processed foods. My BP is in the 120s/80s!!! I just need to make these changes a life style so that I don't get actual hypertension. 

Thanks again and good luck to you wink

• Posted

That's great, Bob! But don't forget to give yourself an occasional treat of whatever "forbidden" food (or drink) you fancy. No point in making your life a complete misery just to add a year or so to it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.