Partial knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op PKR.

Still hard to walk around and painful.

I had 2 months therapy pree op and 24 visits post op of therapy so far. Can anyone give me some real expectations on about how long this may take before I might feel good?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am 9.5wks out. Occ pain left side but mostly aches. Had bilateral pkr done. Improvements started 6wks. However, snafus can still happen. Was on treadmill and got a catch behind left then right knee. There went the redt of the day, but 24hrs of rest, low key walk in house and it was gone.

DONT GO SOFT ON YOUR EXERCISES. BE REGULAR! Maybe you dont do as many reps on a bad day but still do them. This early out, skipping them sets you back.

Good luck

• Posted

Hey Tony, I also had plenty back in sept. I too am having pain still. It is hard to put pressure on it or knee down on it. If I stoop down I need to hold on to something to get up. It has been very frustrating. I also get shock like pains in the knee and chills from the knee u to my hip. It has been weird.
  • Posted

So everyone says a year.....
    • Posted

Thaks for the info. It really is frustrating and I couldn't get any real answers till tonight I found this site.

• Posted

One thing you can also count on is ups n downs. I'll be doing great then a rweak happens. Before finding this site i was like "oh NO, NOW what!" Now I'm tak I ng everything in stride, pushing but not too much. Listening to my body so i dont give it a new set of problems. I can tell the difference now w aches. I get LOTS of aches vs actual pain, just because all the muscles im using. It only took days to lose strength and its taking MONTHS to get strength back. Its happening so I'm happy and patience is a virtue. Guess God wanted me to slow down n smell the roses. ..lol

Keep ur chin up. Slow n steady Toni

• Posted

There are no expectations.  Everyone recovers at their own rate.  Compaing your experience to others is a waste of time, energy and mental focus.  The population of people with knee replacements is like a statistical bell curve.  There are those exceptions that fall far to the left (virtually immediate recovery) and those far to the right (long recoveries, revisions, etc.).

Most of us lie right in the middle or so.  That means that this will take from six months to a year with possible effects (stiffness, minor pain, clicking sounds) lasting possibly 12-18 months. In Zen terms: "You will be better when you're better."...and you will not know where you fell on the curve until you're done.  There are no predictors.

This may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

You may also encounter post-op depresseion, sciatica and other conditions as antecedents to the surgery.  Be prepared...all common.  The most important thing is to stay strong, eat healthy, lose weight, hydrate (a lot), have PT get your ROM back, rebuild your quads, glutes and core in the gym, take your meds, ice frequently.  Remember that swelling indicates you pushed the knee too far.  Don't do that!!!  This is a slow and steady recovery that takes time.

• Posted

Hi Tony

Take heed of what Chico Marx says! This guy knows what he's talking about.

Read his thread.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

...and I thank you for the compliment.

Actually, I'm just here to tell my story and to see if that helps anyone.  The biggest problem I've found is that no one was prepared for this...least of all me.  Sooooo many of us have faced this with no idea what we were getting into. We all have to help each other reset the expectations of newcomers...they have to know they are not alone...

• Posted

It's good to know I'm not alone although I wish no one had to go through this.

You are a good person thanks.

• Posted

How you doing brother? Hope all is well with you.

?. I am now going on my 10 week tomorrow aand am coming around. Stil some pain in my knee and muscles but better. Still limited to what I can do but getting better. I excercise and stretch every day. My main thing now is my feet hurt so darn bad. This is a set back, slowing me down. I have used my orthotics for 20 years. It hurts with or without them. No plantar fasciitis just feels swollen and pain when I walk or just stand for a few moments. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony.

• Posted

I've heard of some people having foot problems...not very common but people have presented their cases.  Post a new thread specifically for TKR / Foot Problems and see what response you get.  I'd be interested too.

One thing I do know...  People are waaaaay to quick to push the "orthotics" button" when they hear that one leg is shorter than the other.  (I know your case is different since you've had a set for years.)  The first person these people should see is a chiropractor.  Unless there's some really egregious surgical mistake, virtually all leg length issues are caused by your hips being out of alignment.  This is sooooo common since we've been changing our gait for a long time to compensate for the knee pain.  This misaligns the hips, back and SI joints.  Easy fix with a few weeks of chiro to reset the alignment and make sure it stays that way.  Recommend once a month with a chiropractor to make sure everything stays aligned.  Walking "funny" has its consequences...

• Posted

Ah ha!  I've been thinking that I need a Chiropractor.  

• Posted

How are you buddy?

I'm finding out that a lot of my pain now is rerve pain. I'm going on 15 weeks post PKR

?. If you know anything about this. When the nerve is cut during surgery does it repair itself and if so about how long does that take

• Posted

Oh yes...nerves are definitely cut.  Lots of tingling, burning etc. as they reattach/regrow.  Takes time...takes patience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.