Alendronic Acid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I'm coming down from 60mg/day of prednisolone (2 years ago), currently on 1 mg/day every 3 days.  I asked my doctor if I could stop taking the Alendronic Acid as it makes me feel bad.  Does anyone else have any experience with the drug? I'm male, aged 48. Cheers smile

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have never taken AA with pred - and my bone density never changed although I wasn't on as high as dose as you.

Have you ever had a dexascan to see if you need it? But at this stage, less than 1/2mg per day, I don't think there is any advantage to/reason for taking AA. If you are concerned, to be sure, ask your GP to send you for a dexascan. If the bone density is OK there is no need to take anything and it is recommended that it shouldn't be used for normal bone density levels.

I have to say - if it made me feel ill I wouldn't take it! It isn't the only drug available and it isn't particularly difficult to increase bone density naturally. 

• Posted

PS - I should have added that I have been on pred for well over 7 years - with only a minimal change in bone density.
    • Posted

That's reassuring - thanks. My doctor has said that it's ok for me to stop taking the drug. Thing is, when I was on high-dose steroids I put the side-effects down to the steroids. Will be interesting to see if stopping has much effect. Seems to be the default where I live, to give AA with steroids. I've seen a few doctors and they have all insisted that it's necessary. What to do smile

• Posted

Alendronic acid can cause racing heart and fatigue plus joint and tendon problems. 

However your doctor thought you needed it, check with your doctor. 

• Posted

Would you happen to know for what reason your physician prescribed the alendronic acid ? 
    • Posted

Pred can lead to the body losing calcium which in turn can lead to a reduction in bone density. The bisphosphonate drugs, of which AA is one, bind calcium in the bones - supposedly reversing the progression to osteoporosis and bone fractures. However - the jury is out on whether low bone density equals fractures and high bone density does not. Nevertheless, doctors have been persuaded that giving bisphosphonate drugs along with pred will avoid loss of bone density. 

I have been on pred for over 7 years, I have taken no AA, my bone density is almost unchanged and still in acceptable range.

• Posted

Hello EileenH

how many mg were you on the Prednisone for the 7 years? It is encouraging that your bone loss is almost unchanged!

thank you

wendy

• Posted

I started at 15mg with a miracle result but struggled for nearly 4 years to get below 9mg without a flare. Then I moved to Italy where we don't have prednisolone so I was switched to methylprednisolone - which was awful. The side effects were horrendous (black beard, massive weight gain and muscle wasting) and even at 20mg I had no relief until early afternoon. I was switched to Lodotra (a form of prednisone but not commonly used as it is expensive) and 15mg worked the same miracle as at the beginning. I steadily reduced to 5mg, even 4mg for a while, but then had a flare last January which sent me back to 15mg. I am currently back to 7mg, 

• Posted

Like Eileen says, below. I think everyone gets it if they're on steroids, long-term. Now that I'm on a very low dose, I've had to ask myself if I can stop taking it, I think you stay on it until the steroids end, if you don't ask

• Posted

Thats right. So you already know that AA is a drug used for preventing osteoporosis that your physician has prescribed, along with prednisone. 
    • Posted

Sorry ... my reply was for jkprednisolone - 

AA is a drug used for preventing osteoporosis that your physician has prescribed along with prednisone

• Posted

I take lots of medicine for asthma but I am not familiar with alendronic acid. Please tell me about it. I , too,  am coming down from 60 mg. Of prednisone very slowly. And am finally feel better (like being let out of a cage) once again. I don't know how long it will last, but I an grateful for whatever time it lasts. I am staying way from crowds and anyone who is sick, hopping to escape thr. Respiratory diseases that have fill our hospitals. I hope that you will be better soon.

• Posted

2 weeks on, same amount of steroids, but definitely feeling less joint pain without the AA. I'm sure that my body is getting used to the steroid dose but I'm convinced that stopping AA is helping too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.