Help so scared and anxious

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

This is driving me totally insane at the moment and really anxious about it being something much worse like lung cancer

I have been ill over the last couple of months with various colds, the last cold I had was about a week ago & started coughing terribly. I do smoke, I am 36, female.

I cannot stop coughing.....every time I breathe in I cough, when I breathe in it feels like cold air in my throat that then irritates and causes me to cough. When I breathe it sounds like I am not wheezing but my throat is tight it sounds constricted (if that makes sense), throat feels somewhat tight also...

I want to the see Dr and only appointment I can get is next week Tuesday so another week of this torture!

I had a cough last year this time & my GP then sent me for an X-ray which came back satisfactory (very worried now something is not right), why is an X-ray satisfactory and not normal, did they miss the cancer in my lung last year!

Any advice, ANYTHING please!

Very anxious & scared

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They probably said "satisfactory" rather than "normal" because you are a smoker and have therefore not got the healthiest lungs that you could have if you had never smoked. Not a criticism, I was a smoker myself! Because you are a smoker you are more susceptible to coughs and chest infections, I had them regularly, and unless you have been coughing up blood I would say that it is highly unlikely that you have lung cancer. Keep your doctor's appointment but let this be the scare that stops you smoking!

• Posted

Thanks. Im literally petrified i really am! My shouldr now has a dull feelig too which i read is a sign of lung cancer, really lost and scared!
    • Posted

Please try not to be frightened, it really is more likely to be a chest infection or something similar. We all fear cancer, it's the word that does it, if it was called something else it wouldn't seem so scarey. I called my cancer Colin!! There's far more chance of it being something easily treated so try to stay positive. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi 

Thought I would let you know, the cough has subsided slightly but now its my upper back its like I have strained it......really scared as this could be lung cancer!

• Posted

I think you got it right when you said "like I have strained it". I would say that that is exactly what has happened, the continual coughing has strained your back. What does your doctor say?

• Posted

Well the GP has not said it was the coughing as it has subsided now for about a week, he says it is likely posture, I am literally going out of my mid, I need to demand a ct scan or something of my lungs if this continues. 
    • Posted

Just an update - I had a chest xray and the result was clear and normal. I am going back to my GP to discuss some further lung function tests as feels like I am breathing through a straw! grrrrr, is this really anxiety!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.