Transferrin saturation 92%

Posted , 5 users are following.

The doctor told me my ferritin level is 1887 and I've had 2 venesections so far but I was going through my test results and saw my transferritin saturation is at 92% which is high. What is that and what is more important, ferritin or transferrin saturation?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Mine is 92% too and my nurse said that getting the ferritin down is more important- ask your nurse and see what she/he says- it'll be interesting to see the difference- if there is any 🙂

• Posted

It is very important - can't really explain it but if you search it on line you'll get detailed info.

• Posted

I have responded extensively on this in previous posts.  Read Prof Pierre Brissot for medical research on it.  If you are homozygous C282Y, technically your TS% won't reduce much until you are totally deironed.  Even then, mine does not behave, even when my ferritin is 24 and I still front up for a vx.

Prof Brissot says that TS% >75% is toxic.  I think that it makes me feel the worst.  My symptoms rarely go away.  But there is nothing we can do about it except keep having those vx.

So obviously, we have to work on getting the ferritin down, and hope the TS% eventually follows.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.