Don't know what to do !

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello, sorry for posting this all over again, but i really need some help,

i have been on citalopram for almost 6 months, the first two on 20mg and the last four on 40mg, and i'm still having a rough time with my anxiety, depression and side effects like double vision, but the thing is that i started on 20mg and after a month and a half on that dose i started to see glimpses of normality and feeling great during the evenings, and feeling flat during the day ( not anxious but not happy ), i saw improvments on that dose,but not all the time !! ( i didn't know this is the way citalopram works !! ) and i had zero side effects also, so i told my doctor about this and he said i should increase it to 40mg

and that was the worst thing, and i've been having a rough time since, So 4 months on 40 mg and no improvements and feeling worse and lots of side effects, so what happens next is i tell my doctor about it and he says i should increase it to 60mg !!! ( what an idiot ), im feeling hopeless right now and i wish i stayed on 20 mg, so i don't know what to do next, should i give this dose more time ??, or maybe lower it to 20mg and see what happens ??, or should i start thinking about switching to something else ??, i honestly don't know what do, any suggestions please ?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that your're having a rough time.  I feel badly for you. The Citalopram helped me by stopping my excessive negative ruminating.  It kind of numbed my feelings so that I wouldn't be so anxious. Problems would just 'roll off' of me.  So, in that sense, it helped my symptoms of depression.

I took 40mg for many, many years.  I stopped taking Citalopram over a year ago.

But, if my depression ever came back full force....I would definitely just take 20mg.  More is not always better.  If I were you, I would stay on 20mg for a while.  I have learned that a majority of doctors do not fully understand what these pills do for us.  They do not understand the side effects and also the withdrawal syndrome.

you must be an advocate for yourself,  that is why it is awesome that you are seeking out info on the Internet.  Everyone responds differently to the medication....so discover what's best for you after gathering advice, opinions and suggestions from wherever you can.

I am no expert or a doctor......I just think jumping from 20mg to 40mg is not always necessary.  The 20mg will help take the edge off of your depression symptoms.....it won't completely 'cure' you.  Make sure you eat right and exercise too!  Citalopram is just one 'tool' in helping you fight your depression.  Sometimes the Citalopram will actually give you more anxiety when you first start taking it.  But then it goes away(for most).  Insomnia can be a big problem too in the beginning,  40mg just might be too much for you.  I think that taking 60mg would be a [u]Huge[/u] mistake for you.  Your anxiety could go through the roof!

I wish you well and I am thinking of you.  Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

thank you for your kind words karen .
  • Posted

I don't know why but I feel like staying on 20mg might be better too, and seeing karen said that is confirming. Just a feeling though.

• Posted

Yes Citalopram does work that way - recovery comes in glimpses / waves.  I suspect 40mg is way too high for you hence you feeling rough.  A lot of people find that too and have found reducing suits them more.  A bigger dose doesn't necessarily mean you'll recover quicker.

40mg is the maximum dose in the UK which was set in 2012 (I don't know about anywhere else), so 60mg would be out of the question (and dangerous).

I'm not a doctor, but if it were me I'd reduce first because you had started seeing improvement on 20mg.  However don't just drop to 20mg or you may feel withdrawl, but instead reduce slowly by 5mg at a time to avoid this, spending 2 - 4 weeks on each reduction.  You must never be in a hurry on these meds.

K x

• Posted

Good idea dropping 5 mg. Unfortunately I didn't see this and dropped from 40-30-20-10 mg then cold turkey - all in 5 weeks. Withdrawal is still EXTREMELY difficult.

• Posted

Hi Bea

The first time I came off Citalopram I also went from 20 / 10 / 5 / 0 and although I did it over many months I still had withdrawal.

I restarted meds a few years ago (due to the stress of family illness) and last year I withdrew again dropping by 5mg each time from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 1.5 / 1.25 / 0 (with a pill cutter) which took a year ....... the best thing I did doing it that way.  Not one withdrawal effect at all.

Sorry to hear you're suffering from withdrawal - not a pleasant experience I remember from my first time.  Yes dropping from 40mg in 5 weeks is quite drastic and a shock to the body too.  How long have you been off completely?  If its not too long I have read some people reinstate a little of the meds which helps (must be done with your doctor though).

One good thing I will say, is that withdrawal doesn't last forever (even though its can be horrendous at the time) - it does eventually wear off.  But do see your doctor if you're suffering bad.

K xx

• Posted

I'm not in any way shape or form of a doctor so I can only offer you what I was told by doctors (family physician and emergency doctor) and experienced myself.

I heard the highest dosage of citalopram that should be prescribed by docs (heard this in Dec 2016) was 40 mg but is NOW apparently 30 mg. Reason: the terrible side effects of medium to long term use that alot of people are experiencing.

Personally, I developed irregular heart rhythm and many other issues related to heart rate, etc.

Personally, citalopram is EXTREMELY difficult to reduce and move to another med or get off. The experience (pain and suffering. .. yes more!) is different for every single person of course. It's the WORSE time with pain and suffering I've experienced so far in my life.

I've heard Efexor is another nasty drug apparently worse than citalopram.

Get well.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are not feeling well, I agree with the others whom have answered you and feel that it would not be wise to increase your dose. Ive been on 20mg for about 8 years and it works really well for me. I once decided to come off it as thought I could do without. I mentally did not cope with so resumed my dosage. As others have said we are not doctors and its only our opinions, my opinion is wean yourself off the amount that you are currently on very very slowly and get back down to the 20mg. Maybe you could keep a diary, It helped me to read back when I was struggling at times the good things that were happening so I could remind myself that the bad feelings are just moments that will pass. It also helped me to plan little events that I liked so I had stuff to look forward to. I guess what Im saying is try and stay busy so your mind has other focuses. Good luck and good on you sharing as thats huge so well done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.