Anyone had a gastric band

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi going to have a gastric band in a few weeks . Can anyone who has this tell me what their journey has been like

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

i had a band over 8 yrs ago - what in particular would you like to know?
    • Posted

Hi . When did u start the preoperative diet before u went to get surgery. Was it sore? Healing time etc? Quite nervous. Have you lost much
    • Posted

I commenced the pre op diet 10 days before my surgery.  the actual wound was sore to start of with but every day i was a little better - they did give me pain killers to bring home from hosp but i never needed them - it was several wks before my wound was completely healed but i had no probs in this respect -  i had 3 wks off work though i probs could have returned after 2 wks but GP insisted on 3rd wk so who was i to argue - i lost 60% of the wgt i needed to lose - 6 stones - have you considered joining a support group - sometimes your wgt loss surgery hosp would have such a group or you could have a look at somewhere like WLSinfo - you would get to chat to people who are living with wgt loss surgery - i found it very helpful - if you need to know anything else just shout up
    • Posted

Thank you. Didn't you lose much weight at the start. What foods helped you. Mine is booked for 31st March. Did it take you long to adjust

• Posted

it took around after a yr till i had decent restriction with a series of small fills building it up gradually but it still took a 2nd yr to reach that full restriction or the 'sweet spot' as it is often referred to  - whilst building up to that full restriction i lost slowly but steadily - I lost most of my wgt in the first 18 mths and yes i did lose wgt quicker to start of with as is the case with most wgt  loss regimes - i lost around 40lbs in the first 6 mths but it took another yr to lose the next 40 lbs - it wasnt a rapid wgt loss by any means - I had already lost 4 stones with wgt watchers before i had the band so over all i lost approx ten stones but not all with the band - foods which are good for me are things which are about the consistency and size of a fishcake - it is solid enough not to go straight through the band but soft enough not to get stuck - I enjoy oats so simple for my breakfast with a couple of prunes - crispbreads with cream cheese or houmous or tuna are a good standby for lunches with a yog to follow - thick soup is another lunchtime fave - sheps pie, fish pie, chilli, bolognese, salmon in a sauce, cauli cheese, cheesy mash, chicken with gravy or sauce are all foods which i would have for an evening meal - bread, rice and pasta, plus dry foods such as chops or, steak are a problem as they stick and that can be uncomfortable so i never eat any of these items - if i have meat or fish it needs to be in a sauce or gravy - if i am having tuna i mix it with some salad cream or mayo - its all trial and error though cos some people can manage rice for example its just for me personally more trouble than it is worth so i give it a miss and anything doughy like bread is the devils food       

• Posted

Hi Nicola41357 I am following this as I have my op on Feb 14th... Starting my pre op (milk and yogurt) diet on Sunday! X
    • Posted

good luck with your pre op diet - its tough but the way i looked at it was that this was my way to make the op as straight forward as possible for the surgeon - the purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink your liver and therefore aid the consultant when performing your surgery - the better it is for you if the op can be carried out without any hassle - my advice would be to have as much variety as possible within the confines of your diet sheet (ie diff flavours of yog) and maybe make lattes to use up some of your milk allowance - are you are allowed sugar free jelly? if so you could make milk jelly and this would use up some of your milk too - make sure you have every thing you are allowed to have and that way you will not go hungry and remember it is for only a short period of time that you have to follow this very strict eating plan - good luck    
    • Posted

Milky jelly ooo I shall try it! They say you can feel tired doing the pre op diet? Did you??
    • Posted

Hi hannah. Good luck for your operation. Are u nervous? Where you getting your operation done. What diet have you been given?
    • Posted

no i didnt get tired doing the pre op diet - i was in my mid 50s at the time, worked full time and ran round after my 'still at home but grown up' kids, husband and elderly relatives - it was busines as usual - the only diff it made to me was that i soon learned to make sure i had my fluid intake before approx 8pm otherwise i was up and down to the loo and didnt get a proper sleep

• Posted

I'm due to have my band fitted on the 10th Feb so thank you for starting this discussion it's been very useful for me as well

• Posted

I've been given a choice:-

Restricted Food portion / group eating plan - which is detailed in the handout

Calorie Controlled diet

Meal replacement eating plan

Milk & yogurt plan

I've got coeliacs and Lactose intolerance which doesnt help but I'm going for the meal replacement mainly so ensure I get the correct balance of nutrients. I can mix and match with all the plans so will do that if I get bored, but to be honest I see it as a short term 'diet' compared to how long I've had problems for and the future changes that are to come - goo dluck with your op & next chapter - we are going to be fabulous smile

• Posted

Hey x how did you get on? I had my op today.. Would love to know about you guys x
    • Posted

Hey how did your op go ??I'm due for mine this Fri very nervous but incredibly excited to!! X

• Posted

A little sore but nothing like I imagined! And although I'm only 6 days post op it is amazing. Do listen to what the doctors tell you (yes I tried taking a whole paracetamol instead of snapping it.. I was sick) but I have nothing but happiness about my band!

• Posted

Can't wait how are out finding liquid only and are you hungry? I'm on the pre op diet think its the hardest diet iv ever done!! Even the dog food is starting to look tempting😂😂

• Posted

The pre op diet was so hard!! But I am not that hungry after (apparently that's because it's swollen) but my sieve is now my best friend! To remove any lumps from soups etc... I have done a weigh in (1 week post op) I've lost a stone already!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.