Pain post opp

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all first time here.. I am a 26 yo male I have been suffering from cts for about 2 years due to work related manual labour mainly and study at uni on a keyboard all day I would wake up almost every night with numb hands and gradually that turned into pain I got xrays and ultra sounds done wich showed nothing at all so I went and got a nerve conduction study done that showed I had carpel tunnel syndrome anyway I decided to go ahead with the surgery.. it has been 5 days since then and I am getting excrusiating pains shooting upto my finger tips when I stretch my hand out a bit (surgeon told me to move wrist and fingers as much as possible) I got a call from the hospital today just a general check up and they said I should not be in any pain at all? my gp has given me some pain releif which somewhat helps. Has anyone else had this problem? How long until the pain goes away?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You will get some nerve pain, had some yesterday, they say it goes away but can take a while.I wear splints at night to keep hands straight, so not to sleep on them found this very easing in the morning. Doctors are right you need to keep everything moving, play act playing the piano and pretend scales that helped me.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi,

Just had mine done 4 days ago. You should not be bending your wrist while stretching fingers! You should have a wrist splint on at all times for the first 7-10 days until you go in for a follow up. At that time, Dr. Should increase your exercises. I'm sure that's why you're having the pain.

Only do exercises with wrist in splint. Hopefully this helps. Pain is definately normal right now. My Dr. sent me home with pain meds.

• Posted

Should be calling your surgeon instead of gp for instructions.

Good luck! Sounds like some miscommunication after surgery😊

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply I only went to my gp the day after my surgery to get some stronger pain medication. The hospital prescribed me panadeine forte which was an absolute waste of time I didnt sleep the night of the surgery with the panadeine so my gp put me onto targin which is an absolute life saver it has helped with the pain greatly but I still get the pain hense why I am here asking for some advise. I have an appointment with my sergeon the sarvo so Ill see what he says. And I have only done what the sergeon has told me to do (excersizes and stretches) nothing more nothing less. smile

• Posted

Hi Adam,

I was just responding to you saying he told you to move your wrist in all directions as well as your fingers. As an Occupational Therapist, I am aware that that was not the usual surgeon advice following cts. As I was saying, the wrist should be stabilized in extension in your splint for the first part of healing. Perhaps your surgeon gives that advice to flex and move your wrist but it will definately cause you a lot of pain.

• Posted

I'm sure many surgeons have their own protocol though and I'm from the US so it may be different in UK. Didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong. Going by my now 5 days out CTS surgery, it still hurts my palm to flex my wrist. I go back in 5 days for further therapy instructions.

• Posted

You are correct, nhs give us a list of exercises this does not include straining the wrist, as release causes some pain in its own right.
    • Posted

Hey Grouch

?I by no means took any offence to what you where saying I came on here asking for advise any everyones advise is different and yes all sergeons will be different.. I forgot to mention my surgery was an endoscopic carpel tunnel release and I am in Australia. ( I think the healing time is much quicker then an open surgery), anyway I went to see my sergeon yesterday and he was very happy with the way my wrist was healing up he said the pain was most probably caused from some extra bruising or bleeding that may have occured during the surgery. He also told me it was very importantant to do a few excersizes a day maybe 3-4 reps of 5, where I need to bend my wrist and trie to clench my fingers (This puts the nerves and tendens really deep in my wrist and will stop any blood clots the more I move it. It has been a week to this day today and my stiches where pulled out yesterday. I still get a little pain but thats to be expected he said. smile

• Posted

Great! I'm at Day 5 and am feeling much less pain today than prior. Looking forward to my appt. at 10 days, hopefully no pain at all by then!

• Posted

hey adam  unfortunately the Drs. dont always explain everything the way it is.  Obviously they are there for help to releive the pain of cts.  Yes they may be able to assist in releiving the pain they dont explain strength loss or grib loss that canoccur.  Unfortunately that is what has transpired in my life of L and R hand CTR  As the CTS repair was good the hands wernt like they were before.  So at the first point of stress on my hands turned CTS into a basil thumb repair L and R.  I am just starting PT to be able to lift without thumbs  how bout them apples

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.