Driving me mad!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

This is driving me totally insane at the moment and really anxious about it being something much worse like cancer in my lungs.

I have been ill over the last couple of months with various colds, the last cold I had was about a week ago & started coughing terribly. I do smoke, I am 36, female (however cut down from 7 a day to 2-3 since this started)

I cannot stop coughing.....every time I breathe in I cough, when I breathe in it feels like cold air in my throat that then irritates and causes me to cough. When I breathe it sounds like I am not wheezing but my throat is tight it sounds constricted (if that makes sense), throat feels somewhat tight also...

I want to the see the Dr and only appointment I can get is next week Tuesday so another week of this torture!

I had a cough Jan 2016 exactly the same this year & my then GP sent me for an X-ray which came back satisfactory (very worried now something is not right), why is an X-ray satisfactory and not normal, could they have missed something on the X-ray of last year!

Any advice, ANYTHING please!

Very anxious.

p.s. I suffer with severe Health Anxiety & have been diagnosed with Globus in Feb 2016, but this coughing is not normal....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay19801,

You could have become over sensitive in you cough reflexes.

That's what they tell me is the cause of mine, I cough 24/7 and have done for over 4-5 years now, and I've been everywhere to try and get it stopped.

I have been in Diamorphine through a Nebuliser for 4 years now as well as Bronchodilators.  Although I have Abestosis, Plural Plaques and Bronchiectasis, they firmly believe its down to Super Sensitivity.

So don't worry to much

• Posted

Hi there

Thank you for your message.

I have also coughed alot if I think about it for a long time in my life, I used to suffer alot with croup when I was very young and remember being in and out of hospital for years.

I am absoultely terrified its lung cancer not diagnosed last year now!

• Posted

First things first quit smoking. If the Globus is the sensation in your throat that feels like a lump I have the same symptoms. I was put on an acid inhibitor like Protonix and it took my larynx and vocal cords six to eight months for them to heal. Once they healed the lump feeling in the throat went away the tightness went away in the shortness of breath went away. I still have symptoms of everything except for the lump in my throat when I'm under severe stress and my anxiety is heightened. Hope this helps

• Posted

Yes Globus is the lump in the throat feeling... although mine feels like its sewn together but I have had this for a whole year now and getting so used to it...its this darnnit cough that is making me nervous!

I have cut down from 7-10 cigs to just 3 a day - I want to and will quit!

• Posted

Good for you, please make an appointment with an ENT. Ear nose and throat doctor will be able to check out your throat, and vocal cords and give you a better diagnosis. good luck and make sure keep us updated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.