Found out 6 days ago I have a pulmonary Embolism-Scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 54yr old gandpa of (5) I was getting dizzy and losing my balance my doctor sent me for a CT scan, from there they came out and said we are taking you to the emergency room you have blood clots in both of your lungs. Now I'm doinga bunch of tests and am scared. Can these ever be completely cured and my life go back to normal?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim

I had a massive PE in July of last year ( I'm a 41 year old male), collapsed at home and spent 5 nights in hospital , the clots went into both sides of my lungs. I have since been on rivoroxoban and had a ct scan on my lungs in September and all was clear, I still get pains in my chest occasionally and the odd bit of shortness of breath but have been told this is to be expected and is more than likely nothing to do with the previous clots, Probably had this pre clots but wouldn't have taken any notice then.Now you have been diagnosed with the clots they will put you on the correct medication and this will clear them , I suffered a lot of anxiety and panic attacks after my incident which I am still getting over but believe in the medication and you'll recover in full , it's takes time though so don't try and rush things and listen to your body i.e. If you feel tired take a nap, stay positive as the worst is over it's all about recovery now , all the best

Steve

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Hopefully you should be past the scary bit, as they have discovered the clots and I assume you are being treated (with anticoagulants).

Different people get different recoveries after PEs, but in general you should improve.  Some are left with residual discomfort/pain or other symptoms, but many recover fully.  I am approaching 18 months after a large number of clots in both lungs and am able to function pretty normally.

HTH

Pete

• Posted

I don't know if you'll ever play the piano but you will get a new normal. Blood thinners for several months and depending on what kind they put you on you may have blood tests to monitor you. Do you know where they came from? DVT? You will be very nervous for awhile. Stay close, ask questions, your medical provider will of course provide the best advice and answers good luck d God bless!!

• Posted

Hi Jim , I am a 42 year old dad of 2 , and I had a large amount of clots in both lungs , discovered end of February last year . I had shortness of breath , dizziness when coughing and chest pains. I went to the hospital voluntarily and was kept in after blood tests etc . It was a scary time but I was put on rivaroxaban ( my choice) after speaking to consultant and he told me that the good news was we were having that conversation rather than not .

So 11 months down the line I am still here , the blood clots dissipated after about 6 to 7 months and although on blood thinners for life and having to be careful the main and so far only side effect is a cough sometimes and reduced lung capacity due to scarring .

So it is scary , it is really serious but you are here , please listen to all they say , opt to stay on thinners given the option so no reoccurrence can happen and above all be positive , you are here , I am here , and so we carry on 👍

All the best

James

• Posted

Hi jim

Im 35 and one clot in each lung about 11 weeks ago. Its really rough the first couple weeks but in time youll feel better. I have a ct scan for april and if there gone i can get off eliquis but people who have had a clot are at a higher risk of having another one. Do thwy know what caused yours? Mine might have been because i was in the hospital for 11 days and even tho i was walking around sometimes it was not enough. In time you will feel better.

• Posted

Hi Jim, I had bi-lateral PE 2 yrs ago at 55yrs, They came on suddenly with no cause. I had a rough 12 months following the clots. I spent 10days in hospital and 4 months of work. Now 2 yrs post clots I still get chest pains and shortness of breath but I think that I will always have that. It was a very scary time for me but remember we are all different so our recovery time is different. I am on Eeliquis for life now, so that gives me comfort, my Doc said it reduces the chance of them reoccurring, I hope you have a swift recovery - remember we are still here so that's a good thing 

• Posted

Hi Jim, 

I'm 61 and i Sept I had some swelling in my leg but it was just my superficial veins (the little ones) it moved up my leg and they did a Doppler and decided I did not have any deep vein thrombosis (deep vein blood clots)  and then on Halloween I just got tired of being short of breath. I couldn't work around the house and had a hard time at the covered bridge festival. When I got to the ER the Dr did a cat scan and found a huge PE in my Right Lung ( my family Dr showed it to me)we started running tests trying to find out where it came from and why I got it so I would t get more. The tests looked like it might be Lupus but the R A Dr said she didn't think so and I've got more tests to take. All I can say it being on the blood thinners help calm the nerves but it is still a scared situation. You are in the right crowd. United we stand divided we bite off all our fingernails with worry. 

• Posted

not sure still batteling myself wondering if my life evry be normal again. seeing nero guy this week for dizzy heads and pain so i am like you wondering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.