constant steriods

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i was just curious to find out if someone like me has a flare up every 6 weeks or so and are put on steriods and antibiotics each time It just seems such a lot so short a time

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yep 7 months in a row antibiotics and steroids, now I am on different meds for copd and sanitize my hands and wear a mask when dusting or vacuuming.  I just hope my lungs respond better in the future.  I wish the same for you.
    • Posted

well i do cleaning for a living so i guess i should start thinking more about stuff like that also now. thanks
    • Posted

Yes me to but not had infection for long time so just the steroids. Doc says if I need them to take them but about ten weeks ago put me on a daily dose of one prednisolone tab plus calcium tabs for the bones. So far it seems to be working Still have supply for flare ups.
    • Posted

yes i now have to take another 56 steriods after i finish my emergancy ones of 2 a day for a week, it starts at 8 then 7 and so on down to one a day until all tabs are finished It does seem an awfull lot tho. No sure what will happen now but last time i did this i still got breathless again after 7 weeks or so
  • Posted

I  have had 2 bouts of attacks, one in October and one in late Dec which is not clearing up. I took amoxi clav and now levofloxacin. Haven't had to do my prednisone yet.  Seems to take more out of me each time and coughng mucus up from your toes tires me out.

Are you on O2? I find it so hard to expel build up with my nose hose.

Hope you are better now

• Posted

Ha dont know what amoxi clav or levofloxacin is, or O2 and didnt know there was such a thing as a nose hose
  • Posted

Sorry, I often use humor to ease my stress. The drugs named were my antibiotics that were prescribed to me. The nose hose is a joke as I am on oxygen (O2) and having a runny nose or nasal congestion is a real pain in the rump. I have not used my steriods yet but that seems to be the only recourse left.

I apologise and will not speak so dark humored anymore.

Hope you are better. I have an appointment with my lung doctor tomorrow so hopefully she will be able to advise as to why this flare up is lasting so long

• Posted

I was beginning to have more flare ups several years ago and the steroids were like a miracle drug, but no longer is. My doctor told me the steriods could cause me more trouble than good. (I now agree with him) My last flare up was March 2016. He has me on zithromycin 250mg every day. He explained the antibioctic cuts the flare ups by as much as 75%. When I had a flare up they then used another antibioctic. I also use nebulizers which works much better for me.

This is something you may want to ask your doctor about this. 'Wishing everyone all the best with this horribe disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.