Just taken 100mg sertraline, need help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression for a while, in July I was put on sertraline, started at 50mg then went up to 100mg, anyway I felt really good for a time so I came off them cold turkey, but have been very depressed lately and had very suicidal thoughts so decided to go back on them with the ones I had left, and I think I've taken too much even though I've been on 100mg before I think its too much to start from and my entire body is shaking and my chest is beating really fast and I have a head rush and very sensitive to light, can someone help please

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I once went upto 100mg for 50. My body couldn't handle it I was very jittery and panicky from the extra dose. I wouldn't worry thought just ride it out and take you normal dose tomorrow. Also I wouldn't just suddenly stop taking them again you should taper your dose over a free weeks to ween off then cause you could feel as you received at the beginning of your post.

• Posted

Hi Alice, I had done this before and experienced the same symptoms as you currently do. I had such extreme palpitations I felt I like I was having a heart attack, and my legs wouldn't stop shaking. And I do NOT recommend anyone doing this.

You have two options, either to ride it out, which is extremely hard, so I recommend the second option - which is take an Ativan or any other benzo if you have it and the next day, start again at 25mg. Then in a week or so, you can up to 50mg, and then in another week, go up to 100mg. BTW, this is very fast already.

Recently I started 50mg for a week and then up to 100mg (I always skip the 75mg dose) and the side effects were pretty bad, esp now that I'm older.

Stay strong.

• Posted

How long were you off it? If it was long enough to have the depression come back then it's likely out if your system and you'll need to ramp up again.

• Posted

Try taking a benadryl or anything with diphenahydrammine in it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.