Too much Gabapentin

Posted , 15 users are following.

Three years ago I started taking Gabapentin of Neurropathy pain 300mg x 3 per day. Now today I am taking 800mg x 7 per day for pain. The doctor doesn't want to switch medication because Gabapentin is "safe". What happens in 3 years from now? Is there an alternative?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi....Gabapentin safe? Have your doctor read these discussion replies! have no idea re alternative. Perhaps consult another doc?
  • Posted

I am on Matrifen fentanyl patches for this.

Its a patch you wear and change every three days, it helps me.

I am also on temgesic for break through pain .

You may find pregab works better, its in the same group as Gabapentin.

Pregab is stronger but I do worry about the large intake of it, have you become tolerant? Therefore having to increase the dosage as you can not do that without risk.

Gabapentin is addictive therefore is it safe.

Good. Luck x

• Posted

I think I have read that Gabapentin tails off in effectiveness after 900mg. I am interested in this as I am on 1800mg and my doc was going to put me up to 2700. I understand pregabalin, a similar drug, is an alternative
  • Posted

I have been on gabapentin, and fentanyl patches and most recently prescribed pregabalin without any real break in the neuropathic pain and finally found out the condition I have requires corticosteroids.

I have found a symptoms diary very helpful, as some evidence to your doctor of what you experience. Your dosage seems very high. My pain seemed to get worse the more I took of the stuff. Try making notes. 

• Posted

In my opinion ( I'm a fibro patient) Too many drs raise the gabapentin way too high. When my dr put me on 600 mgs 3x a day I literally lost my vision. I went to 20/200 in 2 weeks. BUT I am in stage 3 kidney failure, so my kidneys don't flush the meds as a normal person would.

I experimented with my dose and I actually found that going BACK DOWN to the 400 4x a day (1600 a day) contolled my fibro better than when (years ago) I was taking 4200 mgs a day!

I found the secret is to take the pills in smaller doses, more often, as it's not a timed release.

Ideally I like 300 mgs 4x a day and a 400 mg at night before bed. (1600 mgs a day) No side effects and still controlled pain. Remember to MOVE. Don't give in and lay around. Drink lots of water (110 ounces a day) to keep the med "moving".

• Posted

My doctor kept raising the dose until I Literally COULD NOT move one morning, and that's how I came across this forum. But it's clear we ALL have slightly different experiences, on and after the gabapentin experience. 

• Posted

I hate to ask you this and you don't have to answer but did you ever get bowel issues at a high dose? Btw I completely agree with you. My pcp basically said "take as much as you want" so being the addictive type I went from a prescribed dose of over 2000 a day to popping them like candy and not even feeling different. But now all the sudden I have bowel issues.

Thanks for listening

• Posted

No bowl issues. The only issue is getting tired in the evening
    • Posted

I don't usually have problems except for cramping after meals, but as I said my kidneys are slow. My dr didn't say "take as much as you want", he said it was ok to experiment a little. :-) Anyway, I have heard some say they have problems if they take the pills on an empty stomach. I have a BAD habit of drinking coffee all day and eating one meal at 5-6 pm and a bowl of cereal before bed, so I'm usually on an empty stomach. HOWEVER fibromyalgia can cause IBS, so your problem could be that and not the meds.

• Posted

Be careful abt a high dose. I took 600 mgs 3 times a day and after 2 weeks my cornea eroded which is like someone running a stake into your eye. I've passed a dozen kidney stones & had a breech birth and the cornea was suicidal pain, seriously. Don't mess around. :-) I was blind for Christmas, it took a month to get my eyesight back and it was horrible.

• Posted

Thanks for your info.  I am having no other side affects except for being tired.  The medication does work for me, but my concern is how much is too much.  Is Lyrica an answer or is it worse?  I need something for pain.
    • Posted

Yes I drink coffee all day as well 😬😬 and I eat something at night. I struggle with a eating disorder. I've often thought about fibro but I'm just so sick of meds and doctors.

• Posted

What type of bowel issues did you notice with Gabapentin?  My mother has been taking over 4800 mg a day for years. Had a bowel abscess last year, which ended in a colostomy. Her diverticulitis may have nothing to do with Gabapentin; but, I’m wondering if there’s a link. 
  • Posted

Highest dose they say is 3600 mg a day. I take 1200 three times daily and over and over I've read one 1000mg your body doesn't help or break it down to really get good use. I know high doses are safe really I do! But for real use over 1000mg you really are wasting pills. Your body doesn't recognize the extra!

• Posted

I try everything for my Anxiety, pain, And also it help me sleep. I only take it at night 1tablet 300mg as needed. It give me more energy the next day. I found out you can't sit for along time you have to move around. I just start 3 days ago. I'm trying to get it back in my symptom. But it help for nerve pain, anxiety, and help me sleep at night. Nothing else works for me that's the only one. Make you drink at lots of water to flush it down I found that out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.