Help i think I've got the onset of shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

For a few days I've been having a numbness tingling on the upper right area of my back. Now it is itchy and painful. Is it shingles or am I over exaggerating? I don't wanna go to the dr n then feel dumb

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amber,

The symptoms you are describing certainly sound like Shingles to me. Is the pain a burning or lancinating (electrical) type of pain?

Have you had any of these symptoms including headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, exhaustion and fatigue? These symptoms often precede the itching and burning type of pain that comes before a rash.

You are not dumb! You are very self-aware and bright to pick up on these symptoms. I would see a physician straight away. One can also have Shingles without the rash. It is called "Zoster Sine Herpete.". You would be started on Antivirals immediately for seven days. The sooner one starts, the less intense, painful, the episode is, and the shorter the duration as it stops the virus from replicating. The Physician should also give you some analgesics for the pain.

May I ask your age? You can get shingles at any age, although it occurs more frequently the older one is.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you and honestly only reason I know a about shingles is because I saw my mother deal with it. It was horrible. I am 31 yrs old also in US. I had chicken pox very bad when I was a child so I hope that isn't an indication of how this is going to be. And I honestly can't describe the pain it's weird something I've never felt. It's localized to one strip almost or patch of my back. But I'm also feeling pain throughout my body. I've had the pain for a few days maybe a week now. The numbness is working it'd way around to my side almost to my chest. I've been waking up sweating for about the same amount of time aswell. I just don't feel great.

Thank you

• Posted

Amber,

If you feel as if you are getting the flu, but have no respiratory symptoms, feel achey and miserable all over, sweating, and with the band of pain from the back to the front, and a case of chickenpox, you have Shingles.

I am sorry you are suffering, but I guarantee you have it. That band of numbness/pain is called a dermatome, and it is classic shingles. It is one sided, correct?

Where do you live in the states? I'm on the East coast.

Promise me you will see a doctor Wednesday?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I didn't get a chance to go today! The numbness and tingling and pain Is coming up to my shoulder now. Ugh

• Posted

Please go tomorrow, Amber...

I am very concerned about you....

These predromal symptoms can last awhile, and the sooner you start on the Antivirals, the sooner they have a chance to work...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

YES! Get to a doctor! If it is shingles, and it is a strong possibility, you need the anti-virals immediately. If not treated promptly, you may be in for weeks and/or months of misery. Take it from one who had similar symptoms and didn't get in soon enough. Some doctors don't know as much as they should about the condition, but the fact that you've found this site suggests you have some good preliminary knowledge. Please don't delay as the early days are not nearly as bad as the next few weeks.

• Posted

As others have said, the sooner you are diagnosed and begin anti viral medications, the better.  Go to a doctor immediately!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.