Chronic Sinusitis Misdiagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

For 30 years I was misdiagnosed with chronic sinusitis.  I had a septoplasty, CT Scans, antibiotics, nasal sprays, nasal rinses and nothing stopped the pain from periodically occuring.  My symptoms are typically facial pain around the temple, behind the eyes or cheekbones.  Often it will be only on one side of my face.  Tingling pain sometimes occurs with me.  The pain often starts at night and will last for several hours to a day.  Most days, I will have low level pain in my face, although I won't necessarily have a blocked nose.  In extreme attacks I get very nauseous and will vomit.  During these attacks I feel extremely fatigued and struggle to concentrate at all.

Anyway, I recently went to a new GP in desperation and she diagnosed my pain as a result of migraine headaches (could also be cluster headaches).  The pain is caused by the blood vessels in my head dilating and increasing the blood flow to my face, which causes the pain.  Triggers appear to be dehydration (I often get these headaches on long flights), preservatives in some wine, too much alcohol, fatigue or stress.

My GP prescribed Sumatripan, which I take when I feel a headache coming on.  There are also migraine prevention tablets, which some people take every day.  I am about to try this treatment out.  Anyway, the Sumatripan works for me.  I have not had a bad headache since seeing my GP about a month ago.  

After my experience, I think it is worth asking your GP if your sinus symptoms are not migraine related if they appear to be similar to mine.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi victor, I read your misdiagnosed. With what you told me it sounds like the pain your having could be a start of trigeminal neuraglia. Constant shooting pain in face? Look it up for more info. You can have migrains and cluster headaches with this also.I might be wrong but had the same pain and went to a facial pain doctor he diagnosed me with that. I hope you are finally free of pain which ever road you choose. Have a good day. Jeannie 4006
  • Posted

I am currently experiencing something similar. I began feeling a tingling sensation/pressure on the left side of my temple in October. Since then, I now have tingling/pressure all over my head. I seen ENT's, Neurologist, GP, and no definitive answers. I had an MRI of my brain, which only revealed right sided paranasal sinusitis, but I began feeling the tingling/pressure on my left side. I am currently taking antibiotics and nasal sprays, but nothing is working so far.. It is very frustrating.. I thought about Trigeminal Neuralgia, but it is not a stabbing pain and its bilateral.. 

• Posted

Hi Rosa, Did you see a Nurologist yet. I was on venlafaxine for the pressure and headaches. Then I was on Nortriptyline that seemed to work better but went to a Nurologist then a ent. I had trigeminal neuraglia but seemed to stop when my sinues started. My ent doc said maybe it's facial pain. I told him No. Hope you feel better jeannie400

• Posted

Hi Jeanni,

Thanks for your response. I have seen two prior Neurologist and have a 3rd scheduled appointment on 2/13 with a different one. The doctors I have seen have disregarded my symptoms and not provided any definitive answers - one doctor said "well in medicine, sometimes we just have to make guesses". The symptom is primarily localized in the left temple and feels like tingling and sometimes it goes to the left side. The paranasal sinusitis with air fluid is on the right side, so the left side should not be experiencing symptoms. I am almost done with my antibiotics and started using a sinus rinse to see if that helps.

• Posted

Hi Rosa, Did the Nurologist put you on any meds? I also went to three Nurologist plus a facial pain doctor. Did you have a c scan or MRI of the brain or sinues? Do you have congestion with this? Did any Nurologist say anything about trigeminal neuraglia? I am so tired of these doctors . I asked my ent would he have surgery to remove deviated septum. He couldn't give me a answer. ^.Try breathING hot steam from boiled water with a towel over your head. Some times that helps also. Hope you have a free pain day. Jeannie4006

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.