Work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering, I've been recently diagnosed with psa and waiting to see rhumy at the end of Feb. I've got a lot of aches and pains at the moment but mostly my feet ankles and knees. It can take me upto an hour to get physically ready to leave the house for work in the morning a lot of pacing up and down and up and down the stairs once I've loosened up I'm ok until I sit down for 5 mins and then I'm sore again till the meds kick in. Day to day vairies but always a constant dull ache during the day even if active all day. At the moment I'm on

Cocodamol

Naproxen

Gabapentin

Dihydrocodine

Omeprazol

And amytryptaline

Which seems to do the job some days and not others but in general I get by and don't really like to complain. I'm a chef and have to be in the kitchen early so adding up to an hour onto my normal start time sometimes feels like you've only had 2 or 3 hours sleep but I'm ok with that it's more my family I'm waking at crazy o clock. My question is that I'm in the mindset to start treatment but reading a lot on here a lot of people saying the treatment hit them hard, is this likely to affect my work or should I be looking to book time off? I don't want to be messing anybody about or having to call in sick if I can know ahead of time that I'm going to not be in a fit state

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Jay 

I feel your pain I WAS a chef untill PSA hit me, but by the time i was diagnosed I was 2 years down the line, Having lost most of my grip in my right hand and having a Swan neck middle finger and not being able to make a fist doesnt help. 

Like you my feet Ankles and knees were killing I struggled to get down the stairs. 

Medication 

There are many meds your rhumy can use to control the condition, But different people react differently to all meds, I am lucky that I had no side effects to Sulfasalazine ot Methatrexate (MTX)  both of these worked for a while but that was short lived, I am now on Cimzia but to get that you have to have been on two DEMARDS (sulf/Mtx) These are not a quick fix and can take 3 months to start working. 

you may react well with them you may not but until your on them you will not know. It can be a long haul to get you right, this can also depend on the Rhumy, if you get a good one great but if you dont it can be even harder to get the medication you need. but until your being treated the condition could/may get worse. I know this isnt what you want to hear but sadly its reality. I have not worked for 21 months now and there is no chance of me returning to Cheffing, even trying to spend a day on m feet hurts like hell. 

Only time will tell. 

Best of luck Rob 

• Posted

Hello Jay

Sorry you are having such a bad time

In my case I have suffered PsA  since 1984 and it took them three years to give me a diagnosis. I have extensive small joint arthritis and problems with my spine, hips and neck. I had the benefit of been given a course with the Pain Clinic and that helped me control my medications and give me coping skills.

The problem with PsA it is supposed to be controled by DMARDs and Biologics all control and slow down an overractive immune system. and they reduce the white blood cells count in your blood. Beause of this you will be having blood tests sometimes on a monthly basis. and they can make you feel ill.

I am unable to take DMARDS and that affects me getting on a Biologics List

I take Cox 2 inhibiter NSID drug because my body has bad effects on other antinflammatories. Also I take Amatryptalene at 75mg daily and Tramadol . Not forgetting Citalopram Antidepressent for my Reactive Depression.

The us of Dmard nd Biologics can make you feel sick, I do not really understand how you will be able to anticipate any side affects with thse medications. 

Sad to say I was medically retired in Jan 1988.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Jay, 

its never easy waking with aches and pains early in the morning! I'm up at 5am most mornings for work. i have found a video on YouTube called Qigong. These are stretching and deep breathing excerses aimed at opening the joints in your body. The video is only 15 mins long, and I try to do it before hitting the shower. 

It takes a couple of weeks to get used to them, so suggest doing after work to start. I find this video really helps with my ankles, hands and shoulders. 

Give it a try! 

Ian 

• Posted

Hi Jay, i have just had a firm diagnosis today of psorisis arthritis,i have been under the rhumotology clinic for 8 yrs. i have only ever had dry scaly skin once in my life, apparently my dad having psorisis is evidence enough. I have had so many DMARDS including ciclosporin which nearly killed me. I have been on mxt and hydroxychloraquin for a number of years, for mr they appear to work sometimes then i will have a massive relapse and no pain killers will help, not even morphine. i am always in a degree of pain or on a good day an ache, i also have to move around for an hour or so before i can start my day on any kind of a normal level, i am self employed so if i dont work i dont get paid, i am a child carer and dont think i can go on for much longeri cant bend the joints nearest my nails on my hands at all, my toes are the same and always painful but i do still walk a fair distance most days, i have done everything asked of me by the hospital, my consultant has just applied for funding for me to go onto Etanercepti willstart a post and let you all know how it goes but apparently it can take months to set up as lots of tests needed before you start

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.