Nerve pain on top of head for nearly 3 years & other symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi could someone help me with my symptoms? I have always been an anxious person, but I've ended up having to go to health anxiety therapy for these issues as they're ruining my life.

I'm 18 years old now, but when I had just turned 16 I started experiencing shooting pains on top of my head. It all started when I was in an exam and I felt a headache come on, that was almost like my head was in a vice? I took pain killers which helped, but overall I had that headache for 3 days. After those 3 days the shooting pains started.

I would describe the shooting pains as not debilitating at all, just annoying. They happened about 5 or so times a week, lasting just a second each time. I never went to the Doctors in this time.

Then after a year and a half of these I experienced a very anxious episode. A couple days after this episode, the shooting pain got SO MUCH worse. It lasted a lot longer, and I can only describe it as a sensation like someone stabbing a knife into your head and slowly dragging it across. Other symptoms I developed at this time included dizziness, eye issues, as well as the shooting pain from my head now occurring throughout my body. This lasted 2 weeks. I found some relief in terms of my shooting pains in my body by having hot baths. After 2 weeks, all my symptoms stopped, including the sharp mild head pains I had been having for over a year. As you can imagine, my anxiety went haywire over this period.

Then about a week later I felt my head, and found a cluster of small lumps on the side of my head. I scratched them and clear fluid came out. It then crusted over and healed up. Then a couple of days after that I felt my head again and I had a fluid patch under my scalp, as well as a large lump. I scratched the large lump and fluid came out and it healed. I proceeded to get about 5 of these large lumps before they stopped appearing. The large fluid patch is still there today because I couldn't pop it.

About 4 or so months after these issues my shooting headpains from the years prior returned.

I went to the doctors in distress after the major symptoms occurred. She said that my fluid lump could've been a spot and the rest of the symptoms could have been anxiety, but I'm so not convinced!! I don't know whether these are all linked???

I then went to the doctors at least 10 times after that, all about the same symptoms. Some said it could be to do with my acne, but most spoke about anxiety. But whenever I went to the doctors I was always upset so I think that's why they said that.

Then more recently I have started experiencing twitching of muscles over my body. But it did coincide with my anxiety getting worse so I don't know.

I have a doctors appointment booked for 3 weeks time as that's when they're next available and I'm so scared. My anxiety over this has ruined my life and I'm now at university and I can't bring myself to do any work because I'm just worrying all day.

Please help. X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, you seem to very anxious about things.It appears a bit like a vicious circle for you as when you feel these twinges or pains they make you more anxious  and so on. You may benefit from CBT (ask your doctor) also go online for CBT relaxation and this may help with your anxiety. Being at Uni too with the workload that that incurs will also be worrying you. Try the CBT it may suprise you. Good lucksmile

• Posted

I have actually been through CBT before coming to university but had to stop because of movingly. I've signed up today for CBT again and hopefully I'll be getting that in 6-8 weeks! It definitely is a vicious cycle. Thank you for replying xxx

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about the anxiety you are having. I have suffered with anxiety over the past 10 years. It can affect you in so many ways. From the things you mentioned it could all be anxiety based. I hope after you go to your doctor's appointment you find some relief. I don't wish the mental anguish of anxiety on anyone.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. It has taken over my life. I wish you luck dealing with your anxiety lovely xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.