Low sedation for colonoscopy? Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had a colonoscopy 2 days ago and it was extremely painful...I had Entonox first but it didn't help so they gave me sedation but it also didn't work - at all.

I got a report where is that I got IV Midazolam 002.0mg and Fentanyl 050mcg.

Do you know how much you got? I think this must be very low dose or don't know why it didn't work,...

thanks

I.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had a colonoscopy last September which had to be stopped as I couldn't tolerate it. The pain was horrendous. They gave me the same sedation as you but.... they administrated it twice they gave me it again during the procedure .

Since then I've had the virtual colonoscopy ct scan which I can honestly say was painless.

I've spoken to the surgeon last week and he's advised for me to have polyps removed I asked for general anesthetic which he won't do but has promised to give me more sedation if I get this done.

• Posted

Hi Carol, thank you for your reply. I am sorry you had similar experience as me! 

Do you think CT scan is as accurate as colonoscopy? Do you live in the UK? I don't know what I would do if my doctor would send me to have another colonoscopy without general anesthetic... It's something I never ever want to have again... I can't even get it out of my head.. I think it'll stay in my mind foreversad 

• Posted

Hi I live in the UK

The CT was done to check my full colon which showed up more polyps. I was advised to have a sigmoidoscopy to remove these.

They had to stop the colonoscopy to be honest they didn't get very far.

I'm absolutely petrified of getting this done I begged to be put to sleep but was told it's not a option but promised extra sedation bearing in mind I had double the normal amount and had diazapan to calm me down prescribed by my doctor before I went to hospital. I'm still traumatised ..still remember.. the pain was horrendous I was inconsolable as I expected a little discomfort not the agony.

If your offered the colonography go for it I had this done no sedation just boscapan injection I can honestly say it didn't hurt I had 2 slight niggles xx

• Posted

I don't know why they can't do it under general anaesthesia! Have you tried to find different doctor or go privately? To be honest I don't think more sedation will help sad this must be terrifying situation! I will definitely ask for CT but I am afraid I will have to have colonoscopy anyway sad I don't understand why some people find it only slightly uncomfortable ans some are like us! So weird... 

did you get only buscopan injection when you had CT? You didn't have to drink any liquid? I guess it doesn't hurt as they are not doing anything to you right?

• Posted

I had the buscopan injection and had to drink a litre of liquid of some sort. Was told that there was a slim chance it would give me diarrhoea. The scan was fine. Thought I'd escaped the diarrhoea but an hour or so later it was uncontrollable. Stay near the toilet if you have this test.

• Posted

how long did you have to drink that liquid? I guess it's not as bad as drinking the moviprep before colonoscopy... and the ct scan is not painful at least! 

• Posted

Day before i took contrasta laxative which similar to the iodine injection shows up the scan better. Truthful it was very tasty nothing like picolax aniseed flavour.

You still get your colon pumped up with air small tube used apart from the embarrassment it did not hurt . Boscapan is to relax colon stop cramps. I had no side effects. I've had major ops suffered with endometriosis so got adhesions. Also IBS maybe this contributes to the pain ?

• Posted

I think everything is better than the colonoscopy! I didn't feel when they pumped the air in but I had extreme pain that evening, my boyfriend had to take me to emergency..I thought they damaged my bowel!  

I think only people with some kind of problem have so much pain during the colonoscopy...

• Posted

I had an endoscopy immediately followe'd by a colonoscopy. For the endoscopy I was given midazolam 4mg with no throat spray. The pain as the tube went down was horrible. I remember nothing after that until I became aware of crying and yelling as the colonoscopy took place. According to the notes I was given pethidine 50 mg and midazolam 1mg. There was a complete disconnect between my brain and my mouth. I was unable to ask for the procedures to stop. I had nightmares afterwards.

• Posted

I kicked and screamed even tried to crawl off the bed had a massive panic attack so I'm now guessing they're going to try and render me helpless ? Hmm.. now I know why he promised me more sedation ?

• Posted

Hi lynn, I am sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience! It's absolutely crazy! How they can do both procedures in the same day? It's unbelievable! The doctors are crazy! So you felt everything and couldn't speak? Could you move to show them to stop? I was absolutely in shock and I pulled out the endoscop myself! Can't even imagine to have such a pain and be unable to tell them to stop! I had endoscopy twice ( one through my throat and the other through my nose) both without any sedation but I had that spray. It was uncomfortable mainly the pressure in my stomach but it was tolerable... both was done in Czech republic - my origin country. Doctors in CR are much better than here rolleyes 

• Posted

I wasn't aware of being able to move. Later the doctor said that the people for whom the sedation didn't work often reported nightmares! He apologised for my experience but stressed that the procedures had been carried out properly. 😕

• Posted

At least he apologised! :D omg I'd like to know if giving a birth is so much pain as having the colonoscopy....if yes I don't want to have any kids :D 

• Posted

Not sure how much I had on my first colonoscopy but it might have been the same as yours as I had to stop it due to pain. Doc also told me he couldn't get past my sigmoid colon due to angle of the colon so suggested we use paediatric scope for second one.

Second one went ok, uncomfortable but got through it. He told me he would give me more sedation for this one, I got midazolam 5mg and fentanyl 100mcg. scope managed to go through the whole colon this time so been told any future ones will be with the thinner scope

• Posted

thanks for your reply wink I'm sorry your first colonoscopy was so painful! my doctor also could get through my sigmoid....

if I would ever have to go again I would definitely ask for the maximal sedation and the thinner scope... but hope I won't have to

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.