The TIA and lasting sideaffects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had 3 TIA's in a 5 year period. The last one 6 years ago. I lost consciousness and fell 10 feet giving my back a good hit. I worked in Healthcare. Since the last TIA I have short term memory loss. Also, nothing showed on a CT head scan. We are all different. I always told my Patients every stroke is different. Just wondering has anyone else had these problems. Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi ive had a similar experience to you have had many tias and did in fact loose my speech for 4 months in fact my accent went cockney foreign accent syndrome I've had various scans and seen various consultants and has its 22 months now and I've still got neurological problems it's obvious I've had a small stroke I've also been diagnosed with foot drop Ive also been told not all strokes show on mri scans I've also been diagnosed with promoxal arterial fibrillation which is a big benifactor of strokes I'm not a doctor but I've done lots of research on this subject and I'm part of the stroke club and various professionals there have said I've had a stroke i'm just wanting to get on with my life and put this all behind me

• Posted

Thank You for replying to my post. I am sorry we meet this way. I just knew I was not the only one. I worked in the Healthcare Feild for 27 years. The first TIA I had, my Wife and I were having Dinner in a restaurant. I had pain in my left arm and a headache like none I had ever experienced. I lost my vision for a little over 3 minutes. Not darkness, like the tv snow before Blue screen. Well, I believe you and I have been doing research. The last episode I had was in 2011 I don't remember what happened. I fell about 10 feet in an unconscious state. A crushed Ulnar nerve in my dominant left hand, I wrecked my back, an I have short term memory loss still. Yet nothing showed on a cat scan. Go figure. I will be updating this blog as I find new answers. Sorry my reply was so long. Take care.

• Posted

Hi the first tia I had I fell back on the bed afta I felt like I was walking on air and didn't feel right at all I put it down to the heat has I was in estapona came off holiday with swollen feet and they notice a twitch right side just above my lip ended up in hospital on the stroke ward for a week had various scans a traumatic lumbar puncture and was riddiculed and treated like an attention seeker they even miss diagnosed me with nfd I think they need to go back to training school.and get some bed side manner they way I was treated was a total disgrace and I will never forget my experience has after I was left with a bulging disc and my right leg was dragging it's much better but i'm still left with a foot drop.

• Posted

Sorry you received such poor treatment. Some Doctors and Nurses should go back to retrain. The think everybody is a con artist wanting Drugs. Besides  the Tia and last Mini stroke I am positive I had, I have horrible short term memory. Therefore I know it lasted long enough to damage my short term memory. Strokes and Tia's don't always show up on scans. I fortunately have some fine Doctors treating me. I hope you continue to improve  

• Posted

Never forget this a stroke is a brain attack and it's to be takin seriously for sure and once the damage is done how can it be repaired my short term memory is shot and my cognitive function is poor too walking is not good has it effected my balance left sided hemisphere effected but mri showed normal limits for my age

• Posted

Yes it is. While that clot was blocking blood flow to my noggin it was causing damage. You see I don't remember what happened in 2011. When I came to my senses I knew something was very wrong. I was laid off my job due to the economy. I had no insurance. Little by little I noticed things were not right. During the fall I crushed the Ulnar Nerve in my Dominant left hand. I am just about ready to throw in the towel. At this time I have vertigo as well. Then the tinnitus  Oh yes I can't remember short term. I saw a new Nurse practitioner yesterday. I have no idea how many times I asked him his name. I got confused about what we were discussing. He was tired and got a bit short with me. Bad mistake. I ended up telling him he couldn't find his Ass with both Hands. LOL You know at least one person who understands whereHow it feels hope you get to feeling better.

• Posted

I believe I just had my very first TIA on all days my birthday Jan 17 while I was at work. I am also in the health care field and apparently able to see stroke symptoms in everyone but myself.

I also have afib, aflutter, PAC, PVC, heart block, etc lol.

I was having a great day, resident sang to me, I gave them their meds, supper and I felt fine. While doing dishes I could feel premature beats but I've suffered from arrhythmia since I was 16 after open heart surgery so It don't phase me until it's in my face racing. But I think I only felt the beats because I was standing still, then my arm started to feel weird, pressure started in my chest then to the back of my neck. It felt as though someone was squeezing the hell out of it and the pressure shot up into my head. Suddenly the worst migraine hit and my head felt like it blew up. I got weak and leaned over the counter and then as fast as it started, gone. All of it but the premature beats.

I chalked it up to the new med Amiodarone and went to bed. The next morning I got up and I was veering to the right when walking, I was exhausted, confused, blurred vision, weak, hand eye co-ordination off, no concentration, pain in my head, shaky slurred speech. Everyday I cried asking my husband what is wrong with me? We still chalked it up to the new med. I waited a week and made an appointment with my doctor and as soon as I stuck out my tongue he knew because it was deverted to the right.

I told my husband what the doc said and he said really I didn't notice all of it. My boss didn't either until I told her.

It's been almost 2 wks and have had a ct scan that didn't show anything. I go for an MRI tomorrow morning.

Had anyone else had symptoms disappear when other ones come into play? Like today my speech cleared up but had hours of confusion, and shakiness, tears and now I feel great as if it's almost gone with the exception of weakness and my tongue.

Reading online TIA symptoms only last a short while but mine have been almost 2 weeks

Learned some things though Very thankful for spell check, where I wasn't before. I now know what it's like to feel like a dog chasing its tail. I am definitely a control freak. Don't spend 8 hours at the ER unless your getting paid.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I am no longer an EMT or a Nurse. I couldn't  begin to try and take care of the sick. I miss it like the dickens. That's about all I know. I worked graveyard and went to school during the day when I was getting the EMT license. Same deal when I went back to get the Nursing license. I think you may have suffered a mild stroke. Too many variables. Please get to the Doctor. I have short term memory loss I have vertigo, I have horrible headaches not to forget the tinnitus. It's enough to make you crazy. I knew I couldn't work. I reluctantly filled for my Disability. My Attorney told me it could take 3 years, maybe more. I saw the Fed Judge. He Awarded my Disability in his courtroom that day. It took 19 months. I have had CT scans they show nothing. Medicine has a lot to learn. If you don't mind let me know how things went with your Doctor.

• Posted

I wish you good luck perhaps they will find something so you will at least know what happened. Now to answer your real question instead of telling you my symptoms. Yes, I didn't have, or maybe I didn't notice right away. I have had symptoms come after my episode. Since the Neuro won't say it was even a TIA. He admits the symptoms sound like a TIA or even a stroke. Doctors are so full of it. Let me know how thing go if you don't mind. If more people like us get into this discussion, we may figure something out. That was why I made my Comment. Again Good Luck

• Posted

Sorry it's been a long couple of weeks.

So my family doc thinks I had a tia and sent me to stroke clinic and is sending me to neurologist. CT scan normal. Doc at stroke clinic said she didn't think it was a tia. Suggested it was migraine even though I don't suffer from them and the only migraine I had lasted the duration of the episode and magically disappeared when everything else did. But what I have had was a shooting pain that occasionally went through my head for a week after the episode. Then she said it could be my med and went through the list of side effects my med can cause. Then she said that the radiologist saw something on my MRI but it wasn't conclusive and requested another. Still waiting for that appointment.

So you see I refuse to believe anything that doc says. she was so indisive on her findings and I will not just say "okay, I'll go with that" when she didn't really give me a diagnosis or rule things out.

However almost everything is back to normal with the exception of my tongue. I did have some short term memory loss after, balance, shaky, hand eye coordination and depth perception. Oh and I'm still taking my mess and all my issues have cleared so there goes the "med" theory.

Crazy!

• Posted

I am a 70 year old male in the US.  I experienced 4 TIA's in the past 6 years.  The 2nd was the worse with extended balance, walking and speaking difficulties.  The last 2 were 'easier' and I recovered fully within a few days on my own.  All problems with walking were on my right side.  I don't go to the hospital anymore because all they do now is verify what I already know - I had a TIA.  AND, yes I've suffered short term memory loss over this period of time.  At my age and with the TIA's it could be much worse!   All the best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.