tinnitis in ear after syringing-help please!! really need advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

2 weeks ago I stupidly syringed my ear at home myself (with one of those Otex bulb syringes from the chemist) thinking I had a slight earwax blockage. I didn't use earwax first, and everything seemed fine until I noticed this awful broken whistling sound in my left ear that night. One week on andI have bad ringing (feels like it's in both ears but it's hard to say) and a broken whistling in my left ear. IMy left ear also felt full and crackly (as if it was a wax blackage) but as I was scared about the noises I went to the doctor. He said that my right ear was fine but my left ear had a red patch on it (about a quarter of it was red) and was sitting at an angle or something and he gave me a course of antibiotics. Well, now one week later I have finished the course of antibiotics and still have these awful noises in my ear! Plus I can sort of feel a tickling as if fluid is moving about? Can anyone help me understand what's going on? Thanks so much

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi this is very normal for an ear infection/wax blockage and absolutely nothing to worry about. Tinnitus can occur with wax blockage/infection and it usually goes just as quickly once the wax/infection is cleared. Go back to your GP and if necessary see an audiologist who can give you a hearing test, check in your ear canal and check your middle ear function to see if you have fluid behind your ear drum. x
    • Posted

Olizzieo,

Thanks so much for your reply! It's been almost 2 weeks now since this ringing/whistling noise began and I came off antibiotics 4 days ago. Do you think if it was an infection that it's still clearing up? How long does an ear infection take to clear up with antibiotics? My doctor said that there was nothing more that he could do if the antibiotics didn't work, which was a bit scary! I suppose he will refer me but how long should I wait before I go back? Thanks for telling me what to ask for, that's really helpful- I have made a note to ask for a hearing test, ear canal check and to see if I have fluid behind my eardrum.

• Posted

ps: he said it definitely wasn't wax and that I had done a good job of blasting it all out with the home ear syringe.... feel like a fool!

• Posted

It's really odd that he said there is nothing he could do?? He can send you for a hearing test, send you to an ENT or give you more antibiotics. Not sure where you live but can you book in to see an audiologist without going back to your doctor?I think that is the best thing to do. An ear infection/ fluid behind the ear drum can last for weeks and even a couple of months. 

• Posted

Hi thanks very much for your reply. He did mention that if the antibiotics didn't work 'all he could do' was refer me to the ENT department at the hospital. I don't think he'd give me another round of antibiotics. Should I wait for a while before asking to be referred to ENT? A couple of months is ages! I had no idea that it could last for that long!! Mind you, it will probably take them 2 months to give me an appointment at the hosiptal ENT department....

• Posted

See an audiologist not ENT, unless your ENT will perform a hearing test. That is where you will find out what is happening, then see an ENT for treatment.
    • Posted

Hi, I know this makes me sound like an idiot but do I need to go to my GP to be referredf to an audiologist? Can I make an appointment myself? I think I have tinnitus in both ears now... so worried sad

• Posted

In Australia you don't need a referral but not sure where you are from. If you phone an audiological clinic near you, they will tell you.

• Posted

I had severe stress for a couple weeks during which I had a catscan. The day after the scan my ears started having like a buzzing sound in them 24/7 with occasional ringing, sometimes full frelink in the ears. I went to an entire who did a ear test. It did show I had slight hearing loss of high frequency therefore causing this sound in ears. Nothing to be done. I dnt beli eve it's due to hearing loss. Tinnitis is what they call it. No cure. With time it gets better because you learn to Block it out. Mines been going on for 8 months now. I'm settled to fact it's not going away. But yours may. If infection caused yours, it can go away one day as quick as it came. Will pray all goes well for you..But really, either way, it does get better..

• Posted

Thanks for your message terrie27149. That is interesting how your tinnitus suddenly started after stress. I am glad you are used to it now. I am still finding it hard to adjust to mine but I guess it's only been six weeks since it started so there's hope yet that it might go away. What bothers me the most is how it varies and i'm sure loud noises make it worse. Thanks for your reply- it's good to know that either way things will not seem so bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.