Husband diagnosed proste cancer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Psa Levels 21.3

T3 Gleason is 8

is it normal for doctors to ask for bone test and CT scan?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed 6/15. Psa 6.5, Gl. 4+3. To answer your question is yes in my experience. After biopsy came back they ordered bone scan and ct. I believe they were being thorough and cautious. Usually if there is bone metastases his psa is in the hundreds or thousands even. Be as positive as possible. For me the first 30 days was the hardest because the drs wouldn't tell me anything till all the test were done.

• Posted

Hi darlene, with a T3 and Gleason 8 score, his prostate cancer is in the aggressive league and will try and escape the prostate capsule and cause all sorts of havoc. The bone/CT scans are usual for this type of prostate cancer score. It will reveal if it has already escaped and metastases' are evident. Depending on these results, the method of treatment will be determined. 

What age is your husband, and what is is general health. What caused him to see the doctor in the first place?

Geoff

• Posted

My husband is 56 and is generally in good health. He does have Crohn's and IBS but he has had that for years and regular checkups and scopes. He went to doctors as he had increase of urgency and frequently urinating. Thanks for the message 

• Posted

Yes. They want to see if the cancer is contained to just the prostate and not spread to the bones. 
  • Posted

I agree with geoff 90305.

In addition I suggest a PSMA PET/CT scan which combines a recently introduced PET scan in tandem with a CT scan. This helps reveal where the agree entirely cancer is.

a MRI may also be useful.

T3 indicates the tumor has broken the prostate capsule but that does not mean it has metastasised to the skeleton. The scans will show if it has metastasised,

• Posted

Sorry, my iPad mistyped two words.

In place of "where the agree entirely cancer is " it should read, "where the aggressive cancer is".

• Posted

Yes. A CT scan is routinely undertaken whenever PCA is detected - regardless of how slight the risk of metastases. It would be helpful if you could give the age of your husband.
    • Posted

I was 57 when I had similar figures. I opted for IMRT with hormone therapy and have no reason to regret my decision. One year on and very few side effects except for ED which can be managed.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, see above. Done in the UK. Going to hospital 37 times with all the waiting around is a drag but I did not have any real side effects. I know this is a stressful time but I found the whole procedure quite easy - the biopsy was the worse part for me.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Darlene, I would think with that stage of Tumour then it is advisiable. 

My husband was diagnosed last year, no symptoms picked up on routine blood test. His PSA was 12, Gleason initially 3+3 then after 2nd biopsy upgraded to 3+4 T2A, initally just in one side of prostate we were told.

Had his prostate out in November. Histology results were that it was in both parts and T2C but all contained in prostate andgood negative margins.

Just pleased that it was discovered and dealt with, within 7 months, as seeing how it had spread within the prostate if GP had not done orignal blood test we could have gone on not knowing and it would have spread to other areas.

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.