On methotrexate, injection reactions

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been on methotrexate 25mg since march and switched to the injection in August. The injection was great and was stopping the sickness but in the last month and half/ 2 months I've began getting reactions at the injection site. I've ran out of places on my legs to inject as there either really bruised or lumpy and red. It's also extremely itchy and my skin in going extremely dry around the areas. Is this normal or is it a sign the injections aren't for me?. The tablets made me extremely ill so I'd rather stay on the injection if possible. Plus i'm also on humira injection so there now becoming painful due to the bruising from methotrexate as I had to move my methotrexate injection to my humira leg because of the bruising and lumps.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amyx99x,

I have been on methotrexate injection since April and I have noticed some bruising. I start my shot on the right thigh, then right side stomach, left side stomach and left thigh. That monthly rotation works for me and so I don't feel the soreness and the bruising has gone down by the time I start the rotation again. I did that rotation when I was on orencia too and I'll let keep it up with the humira.

I have not noticed any lumps except the first 24 hours after injecting which I'd imagine is normal. I'm attributing the dry skin to the winter weather so I apply lotion all over.

Hope this info helps console abit.

• Posted

I am on Etanercept injections and get bruising, redness, itchiness and swelling at the site for nearly a week. I've found moving the site the best so I do right lower thigh, left lower thigh,right upper stomach then left, upper thighs then lower stomach and by the time you come back to the same spot it's been enough time to heal. Might be a bit harder for you as 2 injections but my nurse said that as try and make them 3cm or more apart from the last site in that area.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I have been on methotrexate for a number of years, I have been injecting myself for about 4yrs, I was told to inject in my stomach, I do get some bruises but not every time. Hope this helps. Regards Wendy 
  • Posted

i have been injecting myself with MTX for over five years now. GP taught me how to inject correctly, well not quite like he wanted me too, but we worked it out, top of leg, like throwing a dart, then change hold without bumping needle, and use thumb to push, bad arthritis in hands as well, and inject slowly into tissue, no bruising, a little itching but not always, about an inch or more apart weekly. The tablets were not working for me, apparently not taking up the dosage through my stomach, took the rheumo months to figure out why I was getting no improvement, blood tests finally gave her answer, took tablets and had blood tests following day to see how much MTX I had in bloodstream, very little compared to dosage she prescribed.
  • Posted

I don't take MTX injections but have been taking Humira and I had very itchy , red and hard lump at site of injection a few days after I injected.   I did tell the doctor 

and also read on here to use ice before and after I injected at that site.   Doctor said to try that and also to use cortisone cream after I gave the shot on the area

That did help a great deal.  Itchy, hard lump were much less of a problem,  redness present but that didn't bother me.   Doc also said she could give me prednisone pill the day before and after the humira but I said no

Better to mention to your doctor though but I don't think the ice would cause any problem if you dont use longer than 20min and keep a cloth between your skin and the ice

Good luck, hope something helps

• Posted

I had a similar problem with the injections and spoke to my Rheumatologist and the nurse and found that I was actually going partially into the muscle on my thigh rather than just sub-q as I was supposed to. Since then I make sure an pinch up a larger amount of skin to make sure I don't get into the muscle. I was told I could use my abdomen too, but I find that too difficult and can't get the needle in really straight like they told me too, so I just use different places on my thigh. I am on the same dosage as you. What did the Rheumatologist say about it?

Take care

• Posted

I inject into my belly, where it's easy to get a good pinch of soft flesh.  Just stay an inch away from the navel, and I was advised to go around it like the hands of a clock so you never hit the same spot more than once every three months (to avoid creating scar tissue).  Might work better than the leg?

• Posted

What other side effects of methotrexate injections have people had except bruising, I'm worried about them as I'm new to it all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.