Aching calves when laying down

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, I would like to know if anyone suffers from really bad aching in their calves when laying down? It goes away when I stand up most of the time.

I was diagnosed with CFS/M.E. in July 2015 and had to give up working as a consequence.

I am managing to improve by pacing and having regular daily rest and meditation each day but the pains in my calves are stopping me sleep and meditate as it's so painful.

I don't know if this is common with CFS or if there are any advice for reducing the pain, I have been to the doctor and going for yet more blood tests to check vitamin D levels and muscle damage but not convinced this will show up anything. 

I also get a very strange crawling sensation like a spider crawling over my hair when I lay down which is also a mystery to me and my doctor so would be interested to know if anyone has this as well?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes to the pain in legs that stops when I stand.  Yes, I have had that crawling sensation and found myself going after  nonexistent critters. Not often, though.  Nerve damage, I think.  

As for the leg pain, make sure you have your doc check for clots.  Other than that, good old CFS/ME  at it again.

• Posted

Hi I have recently took amatryptyline for nerve pain ,I have had m e for 4 years same situation had to give up my work slowly making a recovery had all sorts of symptoms you mention might be worth speaking to your doc it has helped me with sleep as well or maybe some yoga might help stretches if you can manage them hope this info might help
  • Posted

I've had those crawling sensations. I think my doctor mentioned that probably the small nerve cells in the brain are affected with ME/CFS. That's why some people, like me, can have an array of nerve symptoms, like tingling and burning, heaviness in legs, etc. I actually had a nerve conduction test done, which was a waste of time. It didn't pick up anything. Again, I'd probably have to have a brain tissue biopsy to reveal anything. No thanks. There are so many weird symptoms possible with ME/CFS, I think it's impossible to chase down the cause for every one of them. I just chalk it up to the illness.

• Posted

Thanks for your responses it's nice to know that other people have similar experiences, I did mention to my GP about nerve damage regarding the crawling sensation in the hair but he did not think that this was the case , also had the calves checked for clots and that was given the all clear . Guess I will wait and see if the blood tests throw up anything else.

Was thinking of taking some supplements/ vitamins to see if that helps with the calf pains as it really affecting my daily life. I'm hoping that I can get this pain to such a level that I am able to do some part time work but don't want to make my health worse.

• Posted

Also, Oaklea, there are some nights when the pain moves from the muscles in my calves to my shin bones...especially in my left leg.  Now I have a sharp pain in my left hip.  However, most of the time when it is night pain, it is in the calf of my left leg.  I sure would like to get a good night's sleep!  Guess those days are long gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.