Scared to take diazepam!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, when I originally had my first episode of panic disorder (12 years ago) I was given diazepam to take as and when whilst the SSRIs kicked in. After a 3 or 4 weeks I gradually needed them less and less and was fine on just the SSRIs. I recently had another breakdown and have had my SSRIs increased and diazepam again to use as and when again however I haven't dared to take them, I've not been out of the house properly for about 3 weeks now as I've developed agrophobia!! I'm currently feeling very tense and on edge, I've not slept properly for weeks and I know I'd benefit from the diazepam (it's only 2mg tablets) and it's not the addictiveness that scares me but I'm worried I'll freak out if I start to feel drowsy. I don't drink alcohol anymore as I freak out when I start to feel drunk and my mind has decided that the same scenario will occur with the diazepam. Sorry this is so long winded!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm in no means an advocate for benzodiazepine drugs as I've been off Clonazepam for 3 weeks and it has been the hardest 3 weeks of my life with the withdrawal symptoms but it sounds like you might have no other choice if you can't function without it right now.

Have you discussed other options with whoever prescribed the medication to you besides diazepam that may help you get through this period since your afraid of taking diazepam? Hopefully you can figure something out and best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Thank you for replying, I've been looking into supplements today and my daughter nipped into town and bought me some magnesium which apparently helps with nerves and sleep so I'm going to give that a go for a week or so smile

• Posted

That sounds great and I hope that they work out for you with your sleep and nerves!
    • Posted

I came off Zopiclone last year.  Went on herbals, then mostly off them too.  Found Chamomile tea, of all things works well for me.  Wake at 3am, read a bit, with Camomile, don't use a lot of water, then back to sleep for 4 hours.  Amazing.  I was not a great believer in herbals, but they have their good effects. Try to relax and tell yourself to let go.  Oh. Recently got a cheap machine that puts out white noise, ocean sounds, etc.  Works!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.