Have severe gastrointestinal probs after 7 months on stains

Posted , 6 users are following.

Gradual reduction of peristaltic action and increasing constipation.Upper right abdo pain. Blood results are ok liver, etc. Neck pain, cold extremities and lack of concentration. Have stopped statins. But can anyone help with getting gut back to normal? Might maxalon help?

Thank you.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Increase your levels of good bacteria - probiotic, cultured yoghurt, And most importantly, fermented foods (such as kimchi -Korean pickle), you need to increase the acidity level in the gut - restore the ph balance.  Obviously easing off on processed or high sugar foods will help too but once the gut is in balance and the healthy bacteria get to work, most stomach issues resolve very quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Carol,

I've been off statin for 7 months now and still have neck pain and some balance and confusion issues. It's definitely better than what it was when I was on 20mg of atorvastatin for 6 months. I had to quit because of all the really bad side effects. Decided not to try another statin till I recover more from the damage this one has done. It takes many months for body to recover if you're one of the unfortunate ones it has affected in a negative way.

• Posted

Me too Scott - it's taken a very long while for me to get over some of the nasty effects of these poisons.  4 years later and I still have lots of remaining aches and pains and my cognitive function has never fully recovered.  I learned a valuable lesson, I will definitely not be taking statins again no matter how high my cholesterol is.  I will manage my diet etc., and take my chances.

• Posted

Thanks for info.and will not take statins ever again. Will go the naturopathic way from now.
    • Posted

Hi Loxie,

How long were you on Statins, all my damage was done in just 6 months.

Scott

• Posted

less than a year scott, cant remember exactly - i struggled on for quite a time as every time i went back to my doctor about the increasing health issues I was having, he never once mentioned statins and put it down to firstly 'age' then lots of shoulder shrugs etc., I'm sure he thought I was a hypochondriac.  I ended up in A&E one day as I couldnt move or even get out of bed.  It was a registrar attending in the hospital who asked if I was taking statins and told me it was highly likely it was caused by them.  I went home and flushed the rest down the toilet.  Never took them again.  My GP has never even asked me since about cholesterol, not ever.

• Posted

It most certainly takes a long time to get these dangerous things out of your system, if indeed you ever do. I was advised to drink as much water as I could to try and flush them out. I had the most dreadful side effects from Atoravastatin and would never take another statin, things are slowly improving but I still have a long way to go.
    • Posted

thank you. Have taken your advice re water ( with a big effort lol) .some symptoms are subsiding.
  • Posted

Hullo Carol

I've been off statins for 6 months and feel so much better.  I had severe gastrointestinal issues as well.  Go to your health supplement shop and speak to one of the professionals who will assist you with the right supplements to heal your gut again.  I also acquired a lot of gum and tooth decay while on these drugs but I can also report big improvements in that areas as well.  You've done the right thing coming off statins. Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your post Chilaah.  I hadnt connected gum and tooth problems to statin use but that rings a bell, I too suddenly started having a lot of gum problems and had to spend a fortune on dentistry, a problem I'd never had before as my teeth and gums were always well looked after.  I curse the day I ever was stupid enough to be a blind sheep and let these poisons be forced on me.

• Posted

Chilaah, thank you. Have an appointment with naturopath tomorrow. The more I read, the more symptoms I've got it seems. I have regular dental checkups and my dentist couldn't understand the sudden increase in dental decay requiring treatment.

Now I know why.

• Posted

something else that is very good for lowering cholesterol and especially good as a dietary fibre to ease digestive problems is psillium husk (often marketed as metamucil) - it's important to take it as directed, especially with enough water and preferably not to take it alongside other supplements.  It can be added to other foods to increase fibre too.  It has the double benefit of easing digestive problems and of naturallly lowering LDL too.  the problem with some cholesterol lowering methods, eg plant sterols and statins, is that they lower ALL cholesterol including HDL, not healthy.

• Posted

Thanks for that Loxie. I will bear it in mind but will just follow through on instructions received after naturopathic consult.

Sooo many things wrong assoc with gut that I'll initially concentrate on that. And the supplements for healing the acute probs.

• Posted

Good idea Carol.  Good luck with whatever course of action you take.  My stomach problems started with statins but various other things kick in like stress, changes in metabolism due to age, etc., it's a constant battle to keep the gut healthy I appreciate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.