Achilles tendon injury?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, looking for some advice/guidance. Yesterday I was sitting down, stood up to go and walk into another room and after a couple of steps felt a pop/snap at the back of my foot. The pain that followed was instant and severe, I was unable to put my foot down and walk for the next 2 hours while the pain was even worse when I tried to walk and lifted the injured foot off the floor. I took painkillers and bandaged the area to provide it with support and the pain eased dramatically, to the point now where I can walk comfortably almost as normal. I looked into this when it happened and thought it may be a ruptured achilles tendon but the fact the pain has eased so quickly makes me doubt this. There also doesnt appear to be any swelling around the area. Any ideas what this could be? I defintely felt a something pop or snap and was in real pain for a few hours but now hardly anything?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also, I'm 24 years old and fairly active. Playing football most weeks

• Posted

Could be a partial rupture? The pain I suffered from a full rupture was completely gone 25 minutes after I'd done it. Apparently there aren't many nerves around the tendon itself. I'd go get it checked out if I were you. A full tear is unpleasant

• Posted

Hi Matthew, thanks for your help. Were you able to walk ok quite soon after it happened?
    • Posted

Nope. I ruptured mine on the 17th of August last year. Ive only been walking without the boot for 6 weeks now. It would have been much sooner had I chosen to have the operation but I've only really heard negative things about it. I can now walk and jog reasonably well but running is still a little beyond me. If I were in your position I'd get booked in. Worst case? Nothing wrong? Best case, they find you have a partial rupture and can do something about it before it gets worse. Keep us posted though, I'd be interested to see what the issue is.

Best of luck smile

• Posted

I concur with Matthew. Gd luck n I wish well!
    • Posted

Thank you Nikky, I am wary of going through a long wait to get it checked out when it appears the pain has almost gone completely and I may be told its nothing
    • Posted

I hear you but if it's a toss between you having good working feet and feet that don't work and add the pain and restricted mobility?

I've been there ( different to yrs but similar where I didn't take advise and act early)

It's took 2 n half years of hard painful graft!

Nikky

• Posted

Yes your right, I work in sport aswell so its crucial for me. Where would you advice going to get it checked? Im worried if I go to a GP they wont see it as serious and just tell me to rest it, take painkillers etc.
    • Posted

Are you in the UK? If so where?

If in London , I recommend you go to St Thomas Hospital A n E. Best foot n ankle team in London.

Tell them what happened and that you want it seen to.

Outside if London, do the same.

Don't bother with yr GP.

Nikky

• Posted

If you want to , easier to chat, add Flat Feet support Group on FB. We all met on this forum.

Gd luck!

• Posted

Hi, David.

Where did you feel the snap?  Was it above your heel?  If you take your finger and run it along the back of your leg, can you feel a gap anywhere along the back?

Google "Thompson Test" and you can try that, as well.  

I would go to an Emergency Room if the pain continues.

• Posted

Would the Thompson test show a partial tear? If the tendon is stall attached to the calf then the foot would still move. I'm obviously no expert on the matter. Again, my advice would be to see someone who is.

• Posted

Thank you, I did try this test last night and the foot was moving. Like Matthew suggests, is it still possible it could be partially torn?

• Posted

Hi David

I'd still go to A&E and get them to check it out with the proper Achilles squeeze test (Thompson or Simon's test). They might suggest an ultra sound scan if they are not sure but as the pain has reduced, it might be a partial (tear) rather than a full rupture.

Irrespective, get it checked out properly as if left, it will only cause you future problems.

Cibby (4 months post total rupture and only now started walking).

• Posted

Thanks for your help, like I say I am worried something may be wrong because of the incident yesterday. But now the pain has eased alot, I feel like walking into A&E I may not get seen to at all or have to wait 4/5 hours to perhaps be told just to rest it. Resting it isn't an option I have as my job requires me to be moving on it most the time

• Posted

Also if it does turn out to be a partial tear, what type of recovery will they advise and will I be giving some kind of protection around the area to help with recovery? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!
    • Posted

Technically you can still walk with a full rupture. Gravity and muscles in the foot will give the impression of being able to walk, add to that the issue of no pain and it's easy to misdiagnose. I have posted a link that describes symptoms and common errors with diagnosing this injury but it's awaiting approval due to posting an outside link.

• Posted

If you have to rest, you have to rest. I'm an electrician and had to take the first month off then got stuck in the office until 2 weeks ago. It's a really rubbish injury so getting the correct care is essential

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.