Stills disease...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I will try to make this short but I'm trying to understand. I got sick the second week of December with a fever of around 102.8 and then proceeded to have fevers between 101-103 for the next 5.5 weeks. I saw over 8 different doctors (including 2 infectious disease doctors) was admitted twice, once recently (for 4 nights) to the hospital. After over 150 vials of blood and countless tests (PET scan, CAT scan, bone marrow biopsy) they ruled out a lot of things. I was diagnosed with Adult Stills diseases just a week ago when I was dismissed from the hospital. During my 5+ weeks of illness I had all they symptoms of fever, chills, night sweats, rigors (tremors), weakness in joints/pain. I have been on a high dose of Prednisone steroids since they diagnosed me on Friday. (50mg) a day. I should also mention I lost 25 lbs in those 5 weeks and since starting to take the pills my fevers have gone and I haven't had a high temp or symptoms for a week now and my appetite is back and very strong (probably the meds). So my concern is...I don't know if I actually really have stills...it's a very rare condition and hard to diagnose one. I was diagnosed with an FUO (fever if unknown origin) at first a few weeks ago but then after my 4 nights and numerous tests they said stills disease because they ruled out almost everything else. It's been a week and these meds are getting to me. Insomnia (it's 3am while I write this), heart racing constantly, storage issues, anxiety and just a lot of funny stuff. They are hoping to lower my dosage soon but I just took my temperature and it was 95.5! I feel normal temperature wise but that is a really low number...anyone out ther hear of anything like what I've had going on the past 6 weeks? It's been crazy and I just want some clear cut answers and stills just doesn't sit well with me. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Bless you it sounds like you've been very poorly.

I had not heard of SD but have just looked it up .  From what I could understand its diagnosed by ruling out other illnesses.  The article I read recommended if long term use of medication vitamin D and Calcium be taken,

I hope you feel much better soon .

Catharine.

• Posted

Sorry you've suffered like this. I know nothing about Stills I'm afraid but symptoms look similar to lots of other auto immune diseases. Lots of them are diagnosed on history a bit like Stills. Not sure how they op for Stills but it has very similar symptoms to forms of vasculitis. You would hope they know how to diagnose Stills as opposed to anything else but I would ask them if they have ruled out vasculitis. Sorry I can't help you to understand your treatment better. Hope your situation improves soon. 

• Posted

If your wrists were primarily involved in the joint pain, then it is most likely Still's disease. And what about muscle aches and weakness ? This is definitely a rare condition. Are the Blood tests are normal? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.