Anemia, Abdominal pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

just after some advice... I say I'm not worried but maybe I am a little.

I've had some right sided abdominal pain that comes and goes... loose bowel movements for a number of months and on couple of occasions had melena I'm stool..

Was referred to hosp for further tests, was offered a colonoscopy but declined it and wanted something less invasive initially. The consultant did a number of blood tests and my results have come back showing I'm anemic not hugely but other results are okay. I'm not sure whether to go ahead and have a colonoscopy or ride it out to see if things get better. I'm 33 and thinking I'm to young to have anything sinister like bowel cancer.

Any advice will be appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If I were you would accept the colonoscopy-put your mind at rest.

It isn't a pleasant experience-but you will know what is going on.

What is your family history - is there cause for concern due to other close members of the family having had cancer / or other diseases of the gut ?

Good Luck

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, there is no family history of colon cancer. I guess I'm frightened of having the colonoscopy and the other reason is I don't feel unwell other than his pain in abdomen and the annoying bowel movements. I've just had this horrible pain not severe but it's there. it's very localised abdominal pain. My gp initially thought it was ibs.. part of me is hoping it's just ibs but the abdominal pain just doesn't feel right.

• Posted

Just to add the doctor doesn't think it's piles/hemmroids. My stool sample to check for inflammation came back okay.

• Posted

Hi, I agree with Susan and advise you to have the colonoscopy to put your mind at ease.I have had a few and they are really not a big deal.
  • Posted

I'm feeling really frightened now.. ive had a bowel movement today and my motions very maroon tarry colour and I feel awful nauseated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.