I am Unable to clear the mucus properly.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was given an acopella divice by hospital,and I purchased a Futter device,I have tried two puffs of my Ventollin, and one extra puff on my fostair. and end up after both of the devices and a bad headach, I still have not got a clear chest . has any one got any think they have found to work better please.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Pam,

Do you use a spacer when using your ventollin inhaler? The spacer helps the puff from hitting the inside of your mouth and a lot more of the med is inhaled into your lungs.

After you use the acopela or flutter, put your head lower than your lungs (knees and albows) cough and let gravity help bring up the mucus.

If I get mucus 'caught' in my throat, sipping  ice cold water helps, some people prefer sipping a hot drink.  

There are times that it just won't come up, if i get my mind off of it, my throat relaxes and I am able to cough it up.

Hope these tricks help, Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth, thank you for a good point there, I remember seeing that for exspell you can put pillows under you and lay on the bed and that would  do exaclly what you are talking about. I will give it a try . thank you.

Hugs Pam

• Posted

Hello Pam,

Every day I use a Nebulizer with 3ML of Sodium Cholride Solution,which for me helps break up the sputum,and I just cough it up.it use to be every 6 hrs. now I use it just morning and night,so that works for me and I also use Symbicort twice a day and I seem to have it under control.

Best,

Charlie

• Posted

Pam, were you recently diagnosesed? Did anyone, like  poulmonary personel show you how to express sputum?

A general rule is that your body wiill tell you when you need to get sputum out of your airways, but everyone seems to have their own way of diong this.

One thing I didnt hear you mention was the use of  Saline breathing treatments to help losen the sputum. When I hear more about your situation I may be able to supply some assitance.

Keep at it and you will find a solution I bet.

Russ  

• Posted

Hi Russell1127NOLA, thank you for your reply,yes I was diagnosed in December last year, I was given one breathing technique to do before i left the hospital just prior to my diagnoses and got a speedy Phisyo apountment when I was given the Acopella devise and given an explanation what was happening. As I was still stugling I got the Flutter from the internet and I have found it more helpfull to me, but never has anything got rid of it all and I am coughing again with in the hour, and in a bit of a mess by about three hours latter and have to do it again.one puff on Fostair, two puffs on ventolin, 10 blows on Flutter try to expell, and rest  then use Flutter again or try 15 blows on Acapella, I am having to do this four times a day. 

Thank you Pam.

• Posted

I am not sure what the others who are more experienced  would say, but I find that after I have used the nebulizer and then Acapella and Huffing, and cough up as much as I can, then when I stop and rest or walk around (maybe 15 minutes or so later), I get the urge to cough one more time.  That  cough usually completes the mucus expulsion for that treatment.  I am usually clear then and I can feel the difference. You can probably get better info from the more experienced nebulizer users. I have only been doing it for about 6 months.  Be assured that if you can get the hang of the nebulizer treatments and acapella, you will be free of trips to the doctors for infection.  The mucus doesn't get a chance to sit in your lungs to the point of getting infected. Move it out and you will be so much better. Blessings to you as you learn the techniques.  Rest assured we are in the same situation and we depend on using what is necessary to move the mucus from our lungs to the outside of our body. Stay calm and know that it will work when you do it correctly.

I have just gotten over a virus that has been lingering for about 3 weeks. I was using the nebulizer faithfully to get the mucus out. Today, I had a lung x-ray and there was no pneumonia and my blood test showed no infection.  A year ago, I was going from one infection to another with antibiotics being given more than 3 times a year. I am happy that it is in the past and I have control of it with God's help.

Blessings,

Mary Ann

• Posted

As Russ mentioned, you need a nebulizer for the sodium chloride treatment.  That helps to move the mucus.  Also try the huff breathing....it makes you feel like a chicken standing in front of a mirror, but whatever, we do what we need to do to get the mucus to move up from the lungs in order to expel. 

I know what you mean about the albuterol (Ventolin) medicine. It can give you a nasty headache, especially if you have inhaled it incorrectly. In the meantime, get in touch with your doctor and ask about a nebulizer for home and the sodium chloride vials.  If your insurance doesn't cover it, you can always purchase a nebulizer online. They are around $30. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Mary ann. I am seeing the doc today, I will ask, may be I will have to wait till I see consultant who is delling with me at the end of March. I did meen to mension , I am on antibiontics three times a week , to see if this stops the chest infections. but i am well aware iff i can keep my lungs clear they will not get infected. 

Hugs Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam,

?I echo some of the other folks comments about nebulising higher % saline.  You will need to do a 'challenge' supervised by the physio's but if you can tolerate 7% that's best.  I found I couldn't as I spent more time coughing than inhaling so use the 4% which I can tollerate reasonably well.  It definitely helps.

Good Luck

Dave

• Posted

Hi, I use a smart vest, it's an airway clearance device, after each nebulizer treatment. My doctor was able to get my insurance to approve it due to the bronchiectasis diagnosis. It's something I would recommend to anyone who has bronchiectasis. The smart vest and symbicort are my best methods for bringing up mucus.

Laurie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.