Thyroid cancer 18 months ago... levels still not right. Can I try for a baby?

Posted , 2 users are following.

18 months ago I discovered I had thyroidcancer and resulted in a total thyroidectomy (2 operations - partial). Since then my levels have yo yo'd! My parathyroid glands were damaged and i therefore suffer with low calcium levels. My last lot of blood tests were done a few weeks ago and my TSH level was at a shocking 24.6. I am absolutely devastated as I just want to get to the right dose and it's taking so long. I have now been put back under my Macmillan nurse as they have me down as a complicated case.

I am currently on 1.5MCG of alfacalcidol, 1 Sandoval and 200mcg levrothyroxine.

I was hoping to start trying for a baby but I have googled ttc with these levels and three are a lot of people saying about all the risks and that you shouldn't try. Does anyone know if this is true? Should I wait? How long can it take to adjust to a safe level? Will I ever be able to have a baby with out increased risks?

Anyone's knowledge and advise will be much appreciated! X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh wow Charlotte,

This must be very complicated if you have 24.6 tsh on 200mcg levothyroxine. I'm on 125 & my oncologist & the endocrinologist get antsy if I get to .8 tsh!

Not sure about having a baby but seems you need to get your levels right before you think about it.

Did the ENT surgeon get ALL of your thyroid out? I'm assuming you had one of DTC cancers. Your tsh HAS to be completely suppressed to make sure the cancer doesn't come back.

What do your oncologist or endo say? I think it's them you really need to speak to or even the head & neck cancer nurse at your hospital. Get some medical advice asap.

Where are you? Are you in the U.K. ?

I'm in Hertfordshire.

Good luck & hope you get answers soon.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn. Yes I am in Cheshire. They have taken the whole of my thyroid out, was lucky enough to not need radiotherapy although in a bizarre way that plays on my mind... How can they be so sure they have it all without giving me therapy?

I will speak to my Macmillan nurse for more advise. Was just wondering if anyone knew how quickly it could take for my levels to adjust to a normal range and then hopefully I can get it to stabilise and then try for a baby.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I didn't have radiotherapy either. They don't generally give it for thyroid cancers apart from really serious cases. I couldn't have radio iodine either as I have had Thyroid Eye Disease, so it is controlled by using high dose thyroxine.

Did they give you radio iodine? I know it's the norm apart from people like me (awkward! lol).

What did your Macmillan nurse say about the high TSH? That would be my priority at the moment, as it should be suppressed.

You will have to get it balanced before you can even think about a baby 👶

I hope you have some answers by now.

Good luck & keep me in the loop.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.