fed up

Posted , 7 users are following.

why do doctors never listen to you, been feeling rubbish for several years now, paying numerous visits to the doctors for blood tests and everytime my ferritin comes back low, june last year my ferritn was 8, so yet again i was given a 3 month course of iron tabs which took me up to 14 but then the docs said no further acation was required even though this was borderline, so here i am about 4 months down the line with my ferritin now at 10 and another course of iron tablets sad 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola. Have you  asked for an investigation as to why your levels are always low?
  • Posted

You are right dr never listen mine was also down but not too much it was 40 but i was feeling not so good because of my hair started shed badly and thin. I talked with dr and he didnt consider it the culprit so after all i started iron supplemnt my own and 2 weeks later now m feeling well. So we knw our body more than anyone else. Keep going untill u feel well and then do a ferritin test again and use best form of iron for well absorbtion.
    • Posted

makes you feel like your being a nuisance doesnt it, but if they'd listed to you in the first place you wouldnt have to keep going x

• Posted

Nicola ALso log onto the pernicious anaemia society. A low ferritin can make you feel lousy and needs treating and monitoring.
    • Posted

Hello Wasiq,

I too an dealing with low ferritin 10, Vit d deficiency, I had to play nice to get the Dr to test both Iron and Ferritin. I had previously complained of PICA to my Dr. (she wasn't familiar w/the term) it's a craving usually associated with low iron. I was wondering what dosage you used and did you find one tht ddnt cause nausea?? Sadly, I am still waiting for a call to discuss my results after almost 3 weeks-

• Posted

I have had a similar problem- it may be linked to an underlying health condition which the GP is not able to diagnose... maybe ask for the test results so you can see them?
  • Posted

How frustrating! They should be checking for another source of the problem. If you were male they would be doing it quick smart.

Maybe see if you can get a transfusion?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.