PEG

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having a PEG fitted but have been told that I have to have tubes up my nose and down my throat. As I have a blocked nose and sinus problems I don't want that. Does anyone know if there is any reason I could have it fitted without the tubes as I am having it done in the x ray department who are x raying my stomach

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm no expert but I think they mean they use an endoscope to make sure the tube from the PEG is inthe right place. 

"An endoscope (a tube with a camera in it) is passed in to the stomach, through the mouth. The camera on the Endoscope shows pictures of your stomach, which are used to make sure the position of the PEG is correct. The feeding tube is inserted through an incision in the abdomen."

If you google "fitting a peg feed" you will get a load of links explaining what is done. The only link I can give you here is designed for doctors so is quite complicated - other links are easier to understnd.

It would be dangerous not to be sure that the tube is in the right place which is why they use the endoscope.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately I choke badly when anything touches the back of my throat and I virtually collapse. Even my GP said that as X ray department were doing it they could x ray my stomach and see where everything was and so he thought they didn't need to usethe tubes. 

• Posted

I meant to say in the previous post - contact the department who are doing it and discuss it with them. They will use something on the back of your throat to reduce the gagging reflex anyway and for children they do it under a general anaesthetic. But don't worry about it - they'll sort something out.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen I will do what you say and contact the department.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.