Constipation and bowel problems 7 weeks post myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone ,

Can any help as I'm very concerned. For the past few weeks I've been having constipation and pellet like stools (sorry too much information) and what can only be described as pain /pressure . I've read it's normal a few days after surgery but this is ages now .

Is this normal after an op? I'm not on any pain medication apart from paracetamol.

Thankyou

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lizzie,

are you taking iron pills? (because they definitely make you very constipated)

Did you take a lot of the pills that should make you avoid constipation? (the hospital gave me pills, but I stopped taking them after two days, preferring to regulate it with food choice). I'm asking because, perhaps, after taking those pills, it takes some time for the body to readapt to independence.

After my myomectomy I had a week or so of constipation, but then it passed. I was, though, really really focused on the right food: brown rice, lots of vegetables and green tea. That, anyway, seems to work in any situation. 

I stopped taking all pain killers about 18 days after the operation. It was damn painful, but I still managed to take walks, to move around a little, even cook sometimes. And my feeling was that also the digestive system worked better without the interference of e.g. paracetamol.

I don't know if this is useful for you, maybe you need to take the painkillers, each body is different. 

But really to me, the miracle medicine for constipation seems to be brown rice, steamed or boiled vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cale, or even pumpkin. Fibres. 

I hope you will feel better!

Anna

• Posted

Wow, 7 weeks is a long time.  My family doctor has always prescribed me stool softeners for post surgery.  My pain killers usually only last me about 3 weeks and they always bung me up good.  I've had 7 surgeries.  I have an advantage where my entire family eats high fiber foods with loads of fruit every day.  So whether or not my stool is soft, it is coming out no matter what.  Hence the stool softners.

There are side effects to all medications.  I would suggest that you eat at least 10 fruits a day.  Add prune juice and dates to your daily intake.  Make sure everything you eat for 3 weeks counts in the high fiber catagories.  Google everything you can on it.  The human colon can be 6-9 feet long.  That's a lot of organ to take care of.  And sometimes our organs just need a little TLC.  Consider a few weeks of diet change like a spa day for your colon.  

Along with that diet recommendation, drink lots of water.  Water helps the colon to move things along.  A dehydrated colon gets things stuck and they can't move.  Walking will also assist your entire intestines to be the best they can be.  I know, I sound like some corny commercial.  I've had colon issues since my teens.  

If you can't get things back to normal on your own and you go to your doctor, be prepared for a barium enema and/or a colonoscopy.  

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

Does sound like a long time.  As others have said check your diet and the amount of fluids you are taking.  I use prunes to keep things moving, 2-3 a day keep things soft n moving.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.