Been on sertraline about a week

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ive been feeling very tired and haz on sertraline (,not quite with it) and dry metal tasting mouth! Had been suffering anxiety and low mood previously.still feeling anxious but no energy.have been off work for a couple of weeks.not sure whether setraline is helping or not.any advice would be appreviated.

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Cathy, hang in there and trust that the meds will help. This website unfrotantuly has tons of people that are freaking about how they feel. Just trust that things will be fine and IT TAKES TIME. Give yourself a break. The meds will help you get your brain and your thoughts to calm down a bit so you can gain perspective. IN time, the pieces will come back and your life will be better than it ever was.

I was an anxious wreak 18 months ago and now I'm bettert han ever. I still feel depressed and scared and I get worried but this is normal, everyone feels this way, you need to stop trying to be perfect.

Feel gratitude for such a great life.

Now buckle up, find the things that really make you happy, step through fear, believe in yoursefl and find your independence.

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi hoodriver, you sound like a wonderful positive person,and I can really relate to you ,as it has been a very long journey, with sertraline for me as well. I'm still only on 50mg, it took at least 10 weeks before I felt the benefits with this drug. Unfortunately there is "no quick fix" with it ,and I'm still struggling a bit, but what I wanted to add to anybody out there I was a recluse stayed in the house for months on end ,please do try to get out for a walk or meet a friend and confidant and this really helps. This drug does work eventually, unfortunately if you do go up even as small a doesage as 25mg you have the same side affects. What I wanted to tell you hoodriver that your post really has helped me ,and to thankyou

for your positivity and confidence because any poor soul that is struggling will benefit from reading it ,all the best to you ,keep smiling and keep posting xx 

• Posted

Hi Cathy - it is usual for it to take a week or two to settle. What dose are you taking?

S

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I have been on sertaline for 36days now. What dose you on? I'm on 100mg. Did 6days at 25mg, 19days on 50mg, 6days on 75mg and 5days so far on 100mg. The meds take time to work between 6-8weeks plus you need to find the right dose too. My dr told me I'd feel worse before I got better and that is certainly true. You need to just try and stay positive, it will get good days and not so good days, just take a day as it comes. Have you had any other side effects? Did your dr give you anything else to help? This forum as been a life saver, never used one before but everyone is very supportive. If you need to chat I'm here xx

• Posted

Just joins the forum for some reassurance that this will work. Been on 100mg a month now but today and yesterday has been hell. Panicky, sweating, palpitations crying. Hope tomorrow is a better day
    • Posted

Hi Maureen, sorry you are feeling bad. You using sertaline for anxiety or depression or both? When did you start on the meds? They can take awhile to get into your system between 6-8weeks xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, I'm taking it for both. I started them in the new year. So 4 weeks. I guess it's still early days but finding life very hard to cope with xx

• Posted

Yes I'm the same. Been on them nearly 5weeks and have gone from 25mg (I split the dose as I was scared to take them) for 6days then 19days on 50mg. Dr wanted to up me to 100mg so I split dose again and did 6dsys on 75mg and I've been on 100mg for 6days so far. What was your start up dose? Xx

• Posted

I was put on mirtazapine first as they'd worked in the past but they were making me a zombie so changed to sertraline plus the mirt which was a bad idea so now just the sertraline.  Started at 50mg for 3 days then onto 100mg. Doctor has given me lorazepam for 7 days to ease the agitation xx

• Posted

Oh really so you've been through it then. How you finding the sertaline so far? How long were you on the mirt for? Xx

• Posted

It's not without its faults.  That is night sweats and headaches and nauseous. I was taking mirt for a month but I had taken it before and was on it for 3 years with no bother xx

• Posted

A long time then, shame it stopped working for you. Yes I had the night sweats, headaches, nausea, heightened anxiety plus others. It's not been pleasant xx

• Posted

We just need to do what we have to do I guess and put up with the side effects. I just hope tomorrow is a good day xx
    • Posted

Yes that's very true, it's a long process but one we will get through. I hope you have a better day tomorrow xx

• Posted

It's been a better day so far.  Really pushed myself to get out to a local knitting group and walked there and back, 3 miles, and a bit of shopping so feel I did well.  Hope you've had a good day,too xx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, I'm glad you've had a better day today and well done for getting out. I've been to work today but I've felt quite anxious today which hasn't been good I hope it starts to improve xx

• Posted

Thank you. It took some doing but determined to beat this. It's terrible when the anxiety kicks in and all you can think about is how churned up you feeling. I hope it improves soon for you xx

• Posted

Thanks Maureen. It's a horrible feeling both physical and mental. Just hope it improves as the evening goes on xx

• Posted

Yes, it just wears you out. I do hope your evening is better for you. Do you have any meds to help you relax like lorazepam or similar? They so help me but make you quite drowsy the next day but do work xx
    • Posted

Yes me too. No ive only got propranolol beta blocker which I was given at the beginning as I had palpitations and heightened anxiety so only took 2 when I needed them but got nothing else. I see my dr next Wednesday so may ask her for something if still bad xx
    • Posted

Bless ya. I hope you start to feel calmer soon. Ask about something to help you next week when you go back to see your doctor. Xx
    • Posted

You're welcome.  It's so nice to have someone to talk to on here about what we're going through. Hope you get some calmness tonight xx

• Posted

I know, I'm so grateful for this site as I know I'm not alone and it's nice to speak to people who know exactly what we are going through. Still feel a little anxious so I'm running myself a bath to try and relax hopefully it'll help xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. This site is really helping me to stay sane!  You don't feel so alone when you can share your thoughts and feelings with others that understand. I do hope you managed to relax last night after your bath and that today has been better for you xx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, I know I always try and get on here throughout the day. It does help. Yes felt ok after a bath last night and watched abit of telly. Been the same again today unfortunately I'm just hoping it'll start to improve soon. Managed to get to work again tho. How are you getting on? You feeling ok? Xxx

• Posted

It's really helping me. Glad you felt better after your bath last night. Sorry to hear today hasn't been so good for you though. I find mornings are a nightmare to get through and as the day goes on I improve a little. I went to see my CPN this morning so that causes me more anxiety so took a lorazepam so that helped calm me down so I was able to go shopping in the afternoon without freaking out. Let's hope tomorrow we both have a good day xx

• Posted

Glad your ok. Yes I'm not bad thanks. Abit anxious this afternoon and abit this evening but ok. I'm tired too xx

• Posted

Glad you're not doing too bad. This morning imnot feeling so good so have take a lorazepam to see if that helps with anxiety. Bloody just wish I. Old see some improvement in myself but I can't. I don't think the winter months are helping either for a lot of people.  Just don't feel like I can be bothered to do anything today but then I feel guilty for not doing stuff.  It's a vicious circle. I just so glad that there's people out there that understand. Thanks for your replies. Hope your day goes ok xx

• Posted

Sorry your not feeling too good today. I know what you mean, I'm not dressed yet and I have 2children and feel I need to do something with them I feel so bad and guilty it is a vicious circle. I'm hoping to go the shops later with my mum. I hope the lorazepam helps and you start to improve. Keep me posted. It is good to speak to people that are in the same situation xx

• Posted

Bless you. I really feel lucky to have you to talk to as I think we're very similar. Going out with your mum later will give you a good reason to get dressed and ready to go out. I'm dressed but that's about it. Hubby is working on his van so at least I don't feel like a burden to him today. Xx

• Posted

Yes I agree. It's good to talk smile yes it will be I'm going to get myself dressed soon and head around to my mums house. I'm sure your not a burden to him. Is he supportive? Xx

• Posted

That's good.  You'll feel like you've done something worth while afterwards. He has suffered most of his life with depression and anxiety but can't understand how I can't function properly when he has had to hold down a full time job when he had it. He says he's at the end of his tether with me so I don't know how long he'll cope with me. We've been together 30 years as well and got through some tough times. I hope it doesn't come to him leaving me.  I don't know how I'd cope xx

• Posted

Oh no you would think he would be more understanding with having gone through the same thing as you. I'm sorry to hear that. Try not to think of the worse tho. I've been married for 11years and we have had some ups and downs but my husband left me on New Year's Eve. It's been really hard dealing with my illness plus that. I feel it's my fault tho as in August I told him I felt I was in abit of a rut that's when my anxiety started. He was supportive then on his Christmas leave (he works away) he was really distant and said he felt unhappy and miserable and left me. He said he would be there to help with the children when I started taking the meds but I was only 5days in when he went and side effects weren't nice luckily I was off work for 2weeks. Anyway enough about me, hope your ok xxx

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that he left you. And at such an awful time as well with 2 kids to look after. My husband works from home now in this new job so it's more difficult when I'm having a bad day as he can't cope with my low moods and not wanting to get out of bed. I try and get out every day if only to go food shopping or visit his mum so I'm out if he way. The meds have kicked in now so feel a bit relaxed now.  Are you ready to go see your mum now? Xx

• Posted

Yes I bet that is hard with him being there all the time. You would think he would be more understanding. At least you get out and about even if you don't feel like it. Yes I'm just getting sorted to go around xxx

• Posted

Hun Maureen, how was your day? I'm turned out ok actually had a good day. Went out the shops with my mum then had tea there when we watched a film with the kids which they enjoyed and I felt relaxed and not anxious. It was so nice to feel 'normal' I know I'll still get bad days but I'm happy for this good day today. I'm not on Facebook at the moment. I came off it about 6months ago when my anxiety struck again xxx

• Posted

Oh I'm so o,eased you had a good day out with your family. I know what you mean about feeling "normal". I don't get too many of those these days but I live in hope. Facebook isn't th best thing I admit when you're not well. Yesterday wasn't too bad thank you. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle.  Feeling quite shaky and anxious today but pushing through.  Doing a cooked tea for my daughter coming through later so I must put on a good face for her.  I don't want her worrying.  Hope your day is going ok xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, glad your day was ok yesterday. Sorry your feeling bad today. At least you have your daughter around for tea to keep you busy. Does she know much about your illness? Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle. Good to hear from you. It was lovely to have her here for a couple of hours.  She does know I'm not myself.  She's 26 this year so she's kept in the loop.  I want to get better for her sake as much as mine. Hope you've had a good day again xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, I'm glad you had a nice few hours with your daughter. I know what you mean, I want to get better for my kids too aswell as myself. Day hasn't been to bad, felt abit anxious today but not as bad as it has been but not as good as yesterday unfortunately but I know I'll still get bad days too xxx

• Posted

Hi michelle.  Not too bad today.  Took a lorazepam mind as I knew I'd be feeling jittery once I'd hit breakfast and tablet. Went into town and to see mother in law so been out all day.  Feeling ok do far. Hope you've had a good day xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, glad you've had an ok day today and you've managed to get out. That's good. Day has been ok. Woke up feeling anxious but been ok this afternoon abit low today tho xx

• Posted

Yes, I found it hard this morning to get up.  Mornings are the worst time for me. Glad the afternoon was ok for you but not about you feeling low. Hope it passes and you wake up feeling better xx
    • Posted

Yes mornings are the worst. So hard to get up but have to for the kids. I think I was abit low this evening as my husband has said he doesn't want to be with me anymore. He left me on New Year's Eve but wasn't sure what was happening so been abit emotional tonight, will get through it tho. I hope you've had a nice evening xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I'm so sorry that your husband has made this decision.  It must be very hard for you at the moment. I hope you're coping ok. Try and keep strong Hun. Had a nice enough evening last night but today I'm struggling again. Been out to Whitby with mother in law but just felt detached from everything. Just want to feel normal xx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, thanks I'm trying too. Had an ok few days thankfully. Glad you had a nice evening shame about your trip out, it will get better just keep strong you'll get there. Hope this evening has been ok? Xx

• Posted

I'm so glad you've had a good couple of days. I'm going to our local knitting group now so hope that's ok. I'll keep strong and carry on.  Hope you have another good day xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle.  Hope you're ok? Xx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, sorry late reply. My husband came back and it's been an emotional few days plus told the children we are separating. How you getting on? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle.  Sorry you've had a few upsetting days. Hope you're ok.  Had a couple of tough days with mood and tiredness this week.  Plus the weather doesn't help. How's today been for you? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, thank you. sorry you've had some tough days too. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. No the weather definitely doesn't help, looking forward to the spring, later nights, warmer weather, birds singing and flowers blooming. Day has been busy, went to a couple of my friends, one in the afternoon for a few hours while the kids played then went for tea at another's and the kids had a ball so been out pretty much all day so I'm been ok it's tired really. I'm trying to be strong for the kids xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Okay isn't too bad as I've had a lorazepam but that's the last one now!  They really do help but won't get anymore as they're addictive. I can see why!  You sound like you had a lovely day yesterday with friends and family. It's so tiring having to be strong for the family.  My daughters coming over for her tea so just hope I can put on a smile as not t worry her.  Hope you have a good day today.  Love out little chats xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, how you getting on? Did your evening go ok with your daughter coming around for tea? I've had a good week but today felt abit flat and low so feel abit rubbish. I know will still get bad days at the moment just hope it improves again, had a bad sleep too so feel really tired today. Hope your day has been good? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Had a lovely time with daughter yesterday but today,like you, I'm feeling flat again. Hope your week improves and you get a better night's sleep.  There's nothing worse than not sleeping. I hope tomorrow is a better day for us both xxx

• Posted

Glad you had a nice time with your daughter yesterday. I know it's so frustrating when have a few good days then a rubbish one comes from no where again 😕 Yes I'm going to go to bed shortly and see if I can sleep better tonight. Hope your ok anyway xxx

• Posted

Hi, hope you're well. I've felt really spaced out these last 3 days so hope it passes. Lots of trips to the loo and feeling unwell. Not had any lorazepam so it could be withdrawals from that.  Wonder if anyone else has had these effects?  Hope you're sleeping better xxx

• Posted

Hi Maureen, how you feeling today? I'm feeling ok, had a few good days and think it's starting to help abit now. Still can be up and down but better than I was. It could be the side effects from the lorazepam, see how you get on and if bad go see your doctor. Yes sleeping has improved now thank you. Monday not was bad woke up and couldn't get back off to sleep but it's a lot better now xxx

• Posted

So pleased you're feeling better.  I'm still not right.  I've got a meds review next week so I'm hoping they'll increase the dose. They won't give me any more lorazepam as they're addictive so I'll just have to ride the storm. Glad the sleeping has improved for you. I wake up early then can't get back to sleep. It's so frustrating. Lovely to hear from you xxx

• Posted

Yes you probably do need an increase, it's definitely helped me. Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% better but feeling better than I did. I know will still be up and down. Hopefully your doctor will increase you and you'll start to improve. Have you tried anything to relax you before bed or when you wake up? That should improve too xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Still struggling but I'll battle on.  Hope you're still on the right tracks though. Let me know how you're doing xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.