Elderly Onset MS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Who knows of someone that was first diagnosed at age 70?  I'll be 71 in May, 2017 and I now have symptoms of MS.  I am going for a EMG in a couple days.  Neurologist has not said what he thinks yet, which is wise.  Just told me don't be trying to diagnose myself.   I realize that people can go years without symptoms, but here we're talking decades, lol.

My story is unique I think.  In October of 2016 I got my very first UTI.  It's never gone away after many antibiotics.  The symptoms I have started in November 2016.  Whether there is a link to the UTI and MS I don't know.  Of course, google claims a UTI can cause a relapse in an MS patient.

My symptoms are the funky feeling in my legs, which is not painful.  The worst symptom is what feels like an electric current running through my body from waist on down.  It happens almost always when I am in bed trying to sleep.  I have high anxiety to begin with, and these brief electric episodes often cause me to shake, both internally and sometimes externally.

Before October 2016, I was an extremely active older lady.  I'm an equestrian of 50 years, and all that ended with the UTI and subsequent MS symptoms.

Whatever I have has to be serious.  I just hope I don't have to do the lumbar tap.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey sorry to hear that you havent been well ive gone through similar things only mine is not related to MS just thought id mention you dont actually have to have a lumbar puncture as it doesnt even give you a deffinate diagnosis of MS so there is no need for it. I ended up having one not knowing this as i was in hospital at the time and lets just say they werent the brightest of doctors i saw thats for sure but you definately won't need one but if for some reason you do it wasnt to bad it was definately and odd feeling and im not gonna lie it was a little painful but it was over pretty quickly. 

Hope you get an answer soon 

• Posted

Hello, I am 71 and have not been diagnosed with MS but have most of the symptoms. I have been diagnosed with PMR and fibromyalgia. But I just feel something else is going on with me. I am going to address my issues with my rheumatologist when I see her next week. What are the symptoms you have that makes you think you could have MS? I just seldom feel normal...whatever that may be!
    • Posted

My symptoms are similar to poster Carolyn.  I have the electric-like current going through my legs and a constant low-buzzing feeling in my limbs.  It's moved on to my arms as well and my arms 'fall asleep' (parenthesia/numb) during sleep, but it is easy to shake them out.  Mine all started in October 2016 at the same time as a UTI.  I have had continuous UTI's since October and practically living on antibiotics.  Whether that has anything to do with the MS symptoms, I doubt; probably coincidence.

I don't have any pain nor weakness.  I have seen a neurologist and have pass the basic neuro tests and my EMG was normal.  Neuro doesn't think I have MS, but I don't have confidence in him (for reasons I won't go into).

It is though that MS is generally diagnosed much earlier than 70.  However, that may be because elderly people usually have so many things going on it's hard to differentiate.  I have googled and found that there is evidence of late-onset MS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.