Arthritis in hands

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I have just had diagnos of advanced arthritis in my trapezium bone and all fingers. The trapezium bone I'd growing out to the side. I am now unable to undo jars, open some door handles, take cooking out of the oven as my grip is now so poor. Constant pain for which I am taking tramadol four times a day. I have had the clinical assesssment and will be seeing consultant next week with the view of having surgery. The operation is not that horrific ( watched it on u tube) what I want to know is if you have had this operation would you go through it again? Did it stop the pain. I know that it is unlikely that you will be able to grip etc. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have two finger joint replacements so I think that answers one of the questions. Movement isb't great but pain free, that is priceless and if you do the physio you should be able to grip things. 

I have just had my bone spurs removed to try and give me some time before I need another joint replacement. I have not found anything short of very powerful drugs to kill the pain and I really don;t understand why anyone would want to take pain killers for the rest of their life when surgery can fix the problem. The surgery is done to relive pain. 

Remember that if you leave it too long, it can limit your options for joint replacements which is why I have both types. Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you for you answer. I am scheduled for 13 th March !! It is good to hear good results from this op. I would just like pain to go. I had both knees replaced 2 years ago with good results so am expecting the same. 
  • Posted

Hi Louise I had trapiezectomy with ligament reconstruction on my right hand around 4yrs ago.A year later I then had same operation on my left hand.Was best thing I ever did have had problems for over 20yrs with my hands,still have issues with my fingers but my thumbs are great.Takes bit of time to recover but well worth it in my opinion.Had a TKR done also just under a year ago also ops on my feet.Why suffer that crippling pain when you do something about it.Surgery is not for everyone I know that but it changed my life and will be forever grateful.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Marilyn.

• Posted

Thank you for thank you for your reply. I agree totally. I had both knees replaced, and it looks as if one hand next month and the other when I have recovered. But as you say the positive is no pain

• Posted

Thank you Marilyn, I am now one week post op. So far no problems, I had my left one injected whilst out, unfortunately that is now as painful as before, so that will be next, I agree why suffer when you don't have to x

• Posted

Hi Louise, I just had a trapizectomy done in December. I had ,as you, immense pain,difficulty opening,gripping,holding,basically usuing my thumb. Now I have no pain,can use it to hold,grip etc. Ok it is by no means as strong as it was 5 years ago but brilliant compared to a year ago. It looks like I will need my left one doing soon,would I have it again ..YES !!! brilliant results for me .And all thanks to my surgeon Mr Hobbs ,so I say go for it to have no pain is wonderful smile

• Posted

thank you for your reply. I am having my right hand operation March and he is going to inject the left to help the pain then I guess I will have that one done later on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.