Balloon Dilation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had the Balloon Dilation, for Achalasia...your experience...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I just had one almost two weeks ago. It helped quite a bit. I am still taking the procardia with it though. They didn't the largest balloon thst they normally use for achalasia. My current GI wasn't completely impressed with the manometry test my old GI dr did and he didn't feel comfortable doing the large balloon until he did his own manometry. Before my dilation I was regurgitating almost everything I ate and drank. I rarely regurgitate now. Mostly when I eat too fast. Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

• Posted

Thank you; good to hear that the dilation has helped you.  Have you also had surgery?
  • Posted

I am sure in the next year or I will opt for the POEM surgery. Currently the hospital I am going to there are no Drs doing them yet. There's actually one Dr in the state who performs it. For now I am continuing with some more testing and we will see from there. I'm assuming down the road I will get the surgery

• Posted

I am a Canadian, and there is only one surgeon in my Province who does the Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication surgeries that I had done on Nov. 3rd.

• Posted

Had one a few years back and it only lasted a few before I started getting food stuck again. Baloon dilation for the most part gives short term relief for those with achalasia.
    • Posted

Kayla, was it surgery you had a few years back, or the balloon dilation?
    • Posted

It was a baloon dilation. Im having my first official surgery (HM) February 15th.
  • Posted

Hi Donna

I had 2 dilation last year , the first one was only 18mm and did not work at all , but the second was 40mm and worked really well . Recovery was really quick .

I have also had a robotic Hellers before that .

I have type 1 achalasia

Thanks

John

• Posted

Had balloon dilation over 4mths 3 stretches working well up to now. Taking ppis daily. Had myotomy 30 years ago.
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

i had had a balloon dilatation some 10years or more now, and I am still managing now.

Before I had this I was hardly sleeping and coughing badly regurgitating partly digested food.   Luckily my Doctor believed this was the best way forward, for me anyway!  So I can recommend this procedure, good luck in what you decide.

• Posted

Thank you, this is good, reassuring information, appreciate your responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.