Intrusive Thoughts?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm trying to get an opinion on this, because I don't know if it's nothing or if it is actually something. I get these thoughts, at any random time, in which I feel the urge to do something that will hurt me later on. Like destroy something that means a lot to me, purely because I know how upset I will be later on. Alongside this, I sometimes (not that often) get this thing where I need to do something before I can allow myself to do something else. For example, I used to make myself stand in the dark in my bedroom for a given amount of time before I would let myself sleep. Or in a language exam, I had to read all the words in the language dictionary before I could write my answer (I fought through this one though)

Any thoughts? Is this normal or should I check it out further?

Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is obsessive compulsive behavior that is not uncommon, nor is it competely normal. You do understand that standing in the dark before going to sleep serves absolutely no purpose and is not allowing or preventing anything at all, right? Like you understand that ignoring that impulse and just going to bed is really what you should do or try replacing that strange behavior with something productive like brushing your teeth, getting clothes ready for the next day or writing in a journal.
    • Posted

I fully understand that these compulsions are pointless, but my mind won't rest or I can't relax until I've completed them.

• Posted

This does sound like moderate OCD, common and manageable. You could benefit from prompt attention by a mental health professional (to prevent escalation and also to probe and examine the root cause etc). Untreated it is likely to escalate. Wishing you a swift resolution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.