Sertaline Positive stories please x

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I've been on this forum for about a month now and it's really helped me and spoke to some lovely people. I just needed some help and advise from someone who's been there and had success with sertaline to give me abit of hope and to share their stories.

I've never done this before.

Abit about me... I have used sertaline a few years ago for anxiety and panic attacks and at the time I didn't think it would work it actually did. I felt great and so much better, I then came off them cold turkey (not recommended) and I was fine no side effects and was happy. Although I don't remember getting that much side effects to start with but I may have blocked that out! Anyway I went through abit of a 'wobble' August time when a guy give me attention (I'm married) and it made me smile, nothing happened! But I then questioned myself, am I happy? Am I a bad person for liking someone else? These thoughts were going on and on through my head and it triggered my anxiety back. I spoke to my husband and told him I felt in abit of a rut and he was ok, supportive. I tried to cope with it and get through the days. I would wake every morning anxious, I started losing weight, palpitations etc I researched supplements I could take, which I did, magnesium, vitamin d but nothing really worked so the doctor told me I needed to go on sertaline again. I was so scared to take it this time tho and I put it off for ages but depression started to sneak its way in. My husband said he would support me and help me with the children (have 2) if I experienced any side effects so on Boxing Day I took my first tablet but only 25mg I split it in half as I was scared to take the 50mg, I took that for 6days then upped to 50mg. I got some not so nice side effects, heightened anxiety being the worse and to top it all off my husband left me on New Year's Eve. He told me that he started to question if he was happy and he wasn't, he felt miserable and that my illness wasn't helping so he went. (He works away) so I sat there crying and alone. I was off work for 2weeks luckily so me and the kids just chilled out and I tried to muddle through it. Weve texted a few times but we decided to have a trial separation but he's been quite cold too so I don't think we will end up back together. I went back to the doctor and after 19days on 50mg she wanted me to up it to 100mg again I was scared so I split tablet and took the 75mg for 6days then upped it to a 100mg 6days ago. When I was on the 75mg I felt ok had a couple of ok days but since upping to 100mg I feel down and still have anxious thoughts. I'm very tired too. Is this normal?? My husband is coming back this weekend to see the children, haven't seen him since he left so that's making me feel anxious too so don't know if it's a combination of both? I just wanted to know if the meds will help me and when they will start to kick in on the 100mg? Is it another few weeks after upping dose that you will feel the benefit?

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to get a picture of my story and what I'm going through. Thank you to any replies in advance xxx

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started taking sertraline right after I got married, almost 14 years ago.  I've struggled with depression most of my life, and I knew my marriage would never survive.  It's not easy.  I have to remember to take it every day.  I'm currently taking 150mg, but sometimes have to up it to 200.  Even still, our marriage is not always a happy one.  We have 2 kids and I've gone off sertraline completely during both pregnancies.  Hormones are all crazy anyway during pregnancy and I've never had a problem, though my husband says he is on his best behavior when I'm pregnant.  I want a third child and he doesn't, and I think it is because he knows I will go off my medication again and doesn't want to deal with it.  All in all though, Sertraline saved my life.  I was in a dark place before.  Don't give up yet.  In the past I have upped the dossage 25mg at a time until I found the right dosage.  You'll find it.

• Posted

Hi hollberry, thanks for your reply. It's tough having a relationship with this illness isnt it?! It's hard for them to understand when not gone through it themselves. I think my married is over now so I'm trying to just focus on getting better, it's just so hard when I'm so down and no motivation and sad that it could be all over. Hopefully the meds will kick in soon. I'm glad they are helping you and you have had a positive outcome xxx

• Posted

Hang in there.  My husband and I seperated for a year and a half several years ago.  We were able to work it out.  But it was miserable.  Focus on your kids and finding the right dosage.  It is very tough to have a relationship with someone who doesn't understand.   Sometimes I think it would be easier to just be alone.  But I don't want that either.  You have to fight back against this disease.  

• Posted

Wow really so similar to what I'm going through. It's awful isn't it?! Thanks for your support. I am trying to focus on my kids and getting better for them and myself xxx

• Posted

Yeah.  That's why I responded to you.  Sounded a lot like me.  Just wanted to let you know it get's better.  if you need to talk I'm here.  I know it's hard to find people who understand.  

• Posted

Thank you hollberry. It is such a horrible illness. I'm glad you got through it with your husband. It is very difficult when they don't have any idea what we go through. Thank you. Where are you from hollberry? Xx

• Posted

Somewhat, I guess.  I love him.  It's just hard.  Not only does he not understand, which most people don't unless they've been through it, but he also has aspergers which means he lacks the ability to even empathize.  He can be really cold and "logical" sometimes, and I am totally emotional.  He just doesn't understand emotion.  So that causes a lot of problems.  But he does try, most of the time.  And as long as I take the sertraline, my moods are pretty even.  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, how you getting on? That's a shame about your husband. I don't think anyone understands unless they have gone through it themselves. My husband is due back tomorrow to see the children for the weekend. Staying with me as he's no where else to stay. I've not seen him since he left me on New Year's Eve just a few texts. I'm quite anxious about it really so don't think it's helping me xxx

• Posted

Good luck this weekend.  Hopefully enough time has passed that y'all can talk through things.  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, he texted me before to say he's busy at work so won't be up this weekend. Said will try and get by next week instead but will see. Hope your doing ok? Xxx

• Posted

That stinks.  Me and my hubby have been fighting a lot this week.  I've upped the sertraline to 200 but it's not really helping.  He's acting really cold and distant. It hurts, you know?  I cry and he just rolls his eyes.  I don't cry often.  But I feel like I'm at the end of my rope right now.  Ugh.  Sorry.  I will be ok.  This is just one of the low points of this roller coaster called depression.  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, how you doing? Sorry you & your husband having been getting on. It's difficult when they don't understand what your going through. I hope your ok and if you want a chat I'm here xx

• Posted

Thanks.  It's just been a rough week.  Next week will hopefully be better.  I feel like I do when I haven't taken my Sertraline, but I have.  I'm really moody and snappish.  I guess it's just the stress getting to me.  I'm sick with a cold too so that doesn't help my mood.  It will be ok.  I'll bounce back.  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, how you feeling? Hope your having a better day today? Not good when your full of cold too. Hope your ok xx
    • Posted

Feeling a little better today.  How are you feeling?  Heard from your husband?
    • Posted

Hi hollberry, I'm glad your feeling ok today. I woke up anxious but was ok this afternoon, I texted my husband to wish him a happy birthday from me & the kids. He texted back a few hours later to say he'll be back on Wednesday and we will have a chat about the next steps as he doesn't want to together anymore so been quite emotional this evening but I'm ok xxx

• Posted

Hubby is being cold and distant but I'm finally feeling strong enough to give him a taste of his own medicine.  Now he's acting all sweet and cuddly.  Ugh.  I feel better though.  Been taking 200 mg and it's helped.  I don't know which way my marriage is headed.  We've been on a roller coaster for so long.  But either way, I'll be ok.  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, how's things? How's things with your husband? Hope your ok? Xxx

• Posted

Hey Michelle.  Things are ok.  I'm feeling better mood wise, but I've had the stomach bug for the past several days so that's no fun.  Hubby is on his best behavior today, but it is valentines day.  lol.  How are you?  

• Posted

Hi hollberry, glad all is good with you. Hope your feeling better now after your stomach bug? I'm ok thanks, just plodding through really. Making sure the kids are ok too xxx

• Posted

I think I'm finally over the stomach bug.  appetite still isn't back completely but that's probably a good thing.  I could stand to lose a few lbs.  lol.  Haven't taken the sertraline in about a week because I was afraid I couldn't keep it down so I'm trying to slowyly build it back up.  So far I feel ok.  Had a little anxiety last night but nothing I couldn't handle.  

• Posted

Glad your feeling better now. Oh really, you been getting any side effects from restarting? Glad your doing ok xx
    • Posted

No side effects so far.  I usually do pretty well when I have to do this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.