I am Cured

Posted , 7 users are following.

Are you looking for a cure for your IBS?  I was. I did a lot of research on the Internet for anything that would provide me some relief.  I had the usual effects of IBS: constipation, stomach cramps,  not being able to eat certain foods without paying the price. I was bloated and couldn’t lay on my stomach without uncomfortable pain. My IBS came on slowly at the age of 63. At my age I thought I was dying of some dreaded disease. But I found that if I, through the process of elimination, reframe from certain foods I would feel better these included raw onions, oatmeal, and some dairy products. By doing this I was able to control my problems.  But I still wasn’t satisfied. I didn’t have this before, so there must be a solution. What was it that made me feel so ill? While seeing the Doctor I was told it might be Irritable Bowel Syndrome but she wanted to do some expensive tests but didn’t offer a cure if it was. So I went back to the Internet for anyone’s help.

What I found was information on SIBO (short for ‘small intestine bacteria overgrowth’). And guess what, SIBO can be cured in many people. So I went back to my doctor asking her for her help and she told there was no such thing as SIBO. It was just something made up by naturopaths and was "out there" to give false hopes.

But I still wanted to try and cure my IBS and at least try the SIBO cure. What I needed was a certain anti-biotic called Rifaximin. This anti-biotic was known to work on the small intestines. Wow, that sounds just what I needed but I was unable to attain it through my doctor. So the hope just sat there in my mind for months.

My chance for a cure came months later when I needed a tooth extracted for an unrelated problem. My Dentist pulled my tooth and gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin , which is an antibiotic. The tooth socket really hurt for a long time and took my mind off the  IBS. The prescription was for 500mg three times a day for 10 days. I took my prescription religiously for those 10 days.

When the pain for the tooth extraction went away I found my IBS symptoms had gone away too! Eureka! Although I had taken a different antibiotic than what I was seeking I was cured and I have been that way for months now.

So I am going to publish this in hopes that you will not give up hope in finding your cure of IBS as I did.

I would not recommend getting a tooth pulled to obtain an antibiotic but find a doctor who will prescribe Rifaximin. Or if you are planning a trip out of the country….. just saying. Good luck

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi i had my gallbladder removed over a year ago  and just not been right since  started off with lose bowels  was told by doctors thats because ive had gallbladder removed, so i went away thinking it was that, still 7 months after still had lose bowels cramping pains after id eaten, really bad smelly wind, etc they book me in for colonsocopy  all came back clear, had stool tested came back clear all bloods come back clear, so now they saying its ibs, just given buscopan for pain and no help whats so ever with diet  so im struggling with what foods i can eat   i cant seem to pin point it to a certain food,   Im actually feeling so down over all this and been and seen my gp many of times who tends to just fob me off all the time.   when i mentioned sibo to my doctors she just laughed and said she never heard of it,  so next visit i took a copy from the internet thinking she would believe me  and still she said oh no this is not what you have, so very much doubt ill have luck getting rifaximin,   nice to hear thou that your healed  wishing you all the best smile

• Posted

I got the same laugh about SIBO from my medical doctor. My suggestion is find a Doctor who has heard of it. Whether that would be a Naturopath or ?

There is a test they give for SIBO, expensive yes, time consuming yes. I never had those tests. But I know those ill feelings you are having. I am not.. now. Just sharing my experiences with you all. Good luck :-)

• Posted

Sibo and ibs are two different things. Ibs cannot be cured but Sibo can be eradicated. I'm glad you got rid of your Sibo

• Posted

hi there how can you get tested for sibo ?  im in the uk and my doctor told me theres no such thing  im really confused as ive read up about sibo on the internet  even printed it all off and took to my doctors  Im now considering to change doctors 
    • Posted

Thank you. I know that not all IBS can be cured. But a large number of us sufferers are suffering with SIBO. I'm just sharing my experiences with those who are suffering. Thank you again.

• Posted

There is a breath test that can pick up SIBO; your doctor should know this. 
    • Posted

Yes, there is a breath test for SIBO. Time consuming and probably expensive. I did not have those tests. My MD doctor laughed at the mention of SIBO, "no such thing" from her. I happened to have been on anti-biotics for something else and it worked for me.I would take probiotics afterwards to build up the good bacteria. Just sharing my experiences with those looking for hope. Thank you for mentioning that test for others. :-)

• Posted

I heard a similar story from a plumber who was doing some work for us some years ago.  He had a friend who had to have antibiotics for a tooth infection and it got rid of what he thought was IBS. It was probably SIBO which can mimic IBS.

Talking about medical staff laughing at our concerns, a nurse laughed at me when I complained about her colleague leaving me with permanent pain after a blood test. The strain of it all led to my IBS.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing.

If the anti-biotics wont help you the best I can suggest is to eliminate the foods that may cause you the discomfort. I found these, in my case, to be raw onions, oatmeal, and some dairy products. I could eat cooked onions...go figure that. Now of course none of these bothers me now. I wish you luck.

Doctors dont know everything I have found out. Thank God for the information age and the Internet for us. Otherwise we'd have no other way to help ourselves.

• Posted

Fortunately, food is not my trigger; stress is the cause.  If It hadn't been for that fateful blood test, I think I would have avoided IBS.

I suspect raw onions may be harder to digest and are much sharper before cooking.  Once they are cooked, they are softer and the sharpness is reduced.

• Posted

so pleased to hear this.  I thought antibiotics were bad for IBS.  Has anyone been helped by Buscopan IBS.  I am old and can't stnd the abdominal pain much longer.  I have it day and night.  I try to eat carefully and am doing FODMAP but it hasnt helped to date.  What can I do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.