Toperimate side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am new to this forum, I have recently started toperimate 25mg 6days ago for migraine I had previously been on amiitryptiline 50mg stopped 1werk prior (suddenly) to starting toperimate no reduction as advised by neurologist!

I have awful cold chills, no temperature, low b/p, breathlessness. have been checked by gp quick ecg as I suffer POTS (normal) ecg

She thinking it's new meds I have to titration it up by 25mg every 2wks until 100mg. Anyone else experience these flu like symptoms !?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martina

Topirimate is an awful drug that should be banned because of it's terrible side effects.  Many people on here will tell you of their nightmares with it, me included. My symptoms, were sore throats, bad taste in the mouth, breathlessness and generally feeling c**p.  I was taken off them after 3 months because my neuro was seriously worried I had Stephen Johnson's syndrome which can be fatal.

Just be careful and please keep an eye on your symptoms and if they continue see somebody straight away.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you really appreciate your feedback was really hoping this new drug would help migraines after 18mths on amitrip but not with so many side effects. Thank u
    • Posted

I felt the same because I had used amitriptyine and propanolol and neither worked, topirimate was working and I was losing weight which is a good side effect of the drug, but obviously it turned out not to be so good.

YL

• Posted

I use to take amitriptyline too. First 25mg then 50mg then 75mg until it no longer worked anymore for migraines. Along with 2 other medication I cannot think of their names. I now go to a doctor who knows what they are doing. I take amitriptyline 25mg and Topamax 125mg. When I first starting taking Topamax they started me on 25mg the first week 50mg the second week 75mg the third week and 100mg the 4th week that was back in July 2016. I had some crazy side effects. Tingly hands and feet, face would go numb, couldn't concentrate, sodas taste flat, didn't feel safe driving, got really weird about eating meat, irritable. But after about a week after I started the 100mg dosage the side effects went away and until January 2017 I had only about 2 migraines. I did lose about 12 pounds. But I can take the weird side effects for awhile and not have to have migraines. If you have migraines that were as bad as mine and had to miss work $$$$$ you would deal with the side effects for a few weeks to get rid of the migraines. I recently started on another increase on the Topamax because I started to get migraines mid day maybe because of stress not entirely sure. I'm having the same side effects again. Hopefully within the next week they will subside and once again I can live my life migraine free! It's so worth it if you can hold out a few weeks and deal with the funky side effects.

• Posted

You can't just say if your headaches are bad then deal with the side effects.  My migraines were and still are bad, I have missed weeks off school and the same with work over the last 40 years, about 10+ attacks a month, but if the side effects are potentially fatal you cannot continue to use the drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.