Excruciating pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have symptom that are very similar to TN but my Dr won't recognise this. I have deep stabbing pain ( like pulsating electric shock) deep behind my ear with sensitivity in the surrounding area and a burning sensation to my ear which came out in blisters this week. The pulsating pain is so bad I get about 2 per min. This is the second bout I've had.  Been to see my Dr 3 times in the last week, my ears are fine my teeth ok, he has now prescribed me with Lyrica Pregabalin twice a day. Need some advise please.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure its not shingles?
    • Posted

Yes that was my thought Lee, with the mention of "blisters."

I think the ear shingles is called Ramsey Hunt syndrome?

its still related to the nerve pain ,sian ,which would cause skin sensitivity and burning and stabbing. Try and get the Doctor or nurse to swab the  blisters and get tested for the virus ASAP!

Then they can get you on anti viral therapy. 

• Posted

Hi, My Dr has ruled out Shingles now this is the second time I've had this, the last time about a year ago, then I was prescribed Tregamol. 

• Posted

Hi, my Dr has now ruled out Shingles, over a year ago I had the same symptom but I was prescribed tregamol back then.
  • Posted

He prescribed Lyrica in order to see if it's nerve pain. If the Lyrica works, is likely TN... if it doesn't work, it might be something else.

• Posted

Hi Sian

could you please just tell us a bit more about the blisters, like when you got them and where' they are on your face/ear?

i know you said your doctor ruled it out but could you tell us how it was ruled out?

by a swab test?

if it is unrelated to Ramsay Hunt syndrome/ ear shingles it could be Geniculate Neuralgia. You would need to be referred to a Neurologist for a consult.

how are the anti seizure meds going?

• Posted

Hi thanks for your response, this episode started a week last Wednesday but I was off work on holidays, went back in on Tuesday in absolute agony (shouldn't have been there). The electric shock type pains were excruciating as the day went along the right side of my head became hotter and by 3pm the outer edge of my ear had 4 blisters an hour later the ear and the side of my head was covered in blisters, had an appointment with GP that evening, he queried Shingles told me to visit surgery again on Thursday, by this time all the blisters had gone. He advised me it was the way the body sometimes tries to cool itself down.

On Friday I had to visit the Dr again as it was getting unbearable so they have now changed my meds to Tegretol, but these are making me feel nauseous. Appointment with neurologist has been made, bloods taken. 

• Posted

Hi, I would say it's shingles too. Try to see a different GP if you can and ask for a course of anti-virals like Acyclovir. For the pain you need something like Gapapentin or one of the other neuropathic pain killers.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sian, are you going to general practitioner or neurologist? My go sent me to neurologist under his advise. Let me know please.
    • Posted

Hi, yes I'm just seeing my general practitioner at the moment. I have been referred to a neurologist. They have changed my medication to Tegretol. 

Im still off work as tablets are only taking the edge off the pain.

• Posted

I'm so glad you are going to neurologist. Mine is awesome. He got me on Gabapentin cause I could not take carbamezime. Let lme know how you make at Neur.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.