15 weeks pregnant, diagnosed with herpes not sure how it happened..so many questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

OK so I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and unsure of how this happened as far as I know my boyfriend doesn't have it. We have been together for 4 years and had a break up but now back together n expecting a baby which will be his first child, im so scared and This is a huge shocker as I've never had any problems with this or anything period. my ob thought it was a reaction to monistat cream for yeast infection since I'm pregnant but she said the test results where positive.. First time i outbroke she said its probably because im pregnant and my immune system is weak,Now I'm completely shattered.i hope my baby will be okay and don't get this, also i don't know how to even bring up the conversation to my boyfriend let alone tell him I feel like my life is over and do not know what to do or expect now..😢

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

They can give you meds in the final trimester to reduce the risk of transmission to your baby if HSV2, and worst case scenario, they can perform a C-section, so your baby should be fine. Pregnancy unfortunately weakens the body, sometimes awakening and exposing issues people weren't aware of, like HSV, HPV, etc. Were you confirmed by swab test, and was it HSV2? If HSV1, that's not so much of an issue.

• Posted

I had a swab test, they didn't say or specify which type it was but they said next time I go into my ob they can get a blood sample to determine if this is the first outbreak or if I've had it for a longer period of time.I know nothing about this and am competly lost, i just don't understand how this could happen or know what to say to my bf since I'm carrying his child I'm afraid he's not gonna understand blame me n leave or something

• Posted

The sores though I broke out with two, and it was down below so idk if that means anything or not
    • Posted

It's important you establish the type. I'm sure they know, but figured you only need to know that it's herpes. You should ask the next time. There's no blood test that can tell you how long you've had it. If they suggest the IgM test, they're wrong. The CDC does not recommend this test for herpes, as it's unreliable and prone to false results. If IgG, you need a baseline test done within a month of your outbreak. That can loosely determine recency (positive swab + negative IgG = recent infection, within last 2-3 months).

• Posted

So if I get the blood test done and its negative, it has to be igG test n that will determine my recent infection. Would be between 2-3 months? Idk why they would tell me they could tell me that info if its incorrect this is all just to much..😫

• Posted

It's because the IgM antibody test *can* be used to test for a new/recent infection in the case of other diseases, just not herpes, due to its recurrent nature (IgM is produced with recurrences as well, so every recurrence could look like a new infection with the IgM test). Many doctors don't realise this and aren't aware of the CDC recommendations, and for some reason the IgM test is still available for herpes, so it's often ordered, sometimes with IgG, sometimes not. Another thing that makes the IgM test rather useless is that it's not type-specific, thus adding to the confusion, as you have no idea if the results relate to HSV1, HSV2 or both.

• Posted

Well I had to reschedule my apt. Anyways so it looks like I get to play the waiting game not sure if the outbreak is gone but feels much better n doesn't hurt anymore, I don't see any sores also. Thank you for the info on the igm and IgG test and explaining that I'll be sure to ask them once I do get to go in this all still doesn't even feel real at all and its like I'm not accepting it, time will change that I'm sure

• Posted

No problem. Google the CDC's genital herpes treatment guidelines for more info, including the bit not recommending IgM. Dr Jen Gunter (sp?) also has a good article about IgG vs IgM testing for herpes, so that you can see your doctor armed with knowledge and maybe educate him/her!

• Posted

This is old but can I ask how you and baby are doing right now? Are you feeling okay?
  • Posted

Hey hunni in so sorry to hear this she is probably right we can all be carriers and not know hey I hope it all goes well for you ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.