How many time can you have the mvd surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had the spasms since 2010 and started with Botox doe two years and decided to get the surgery . In 2012 of April I had my first surgery putting the saline pads between my 7 th and 8 th nerve. The recovery didn't go so good lots of complications but I was spasm free .

My head hurts so bad and I kept going back to the surgeon they kept putting me me on different pills and after doing some test he said we need to operate again. So that September they had to open me up and found that there was a lot of scare tissue and a lot of water outside the brain ( why my head felt to heavy I could badly hold it up). I wasn't spasm free and over the last 4 years my head and nose always feels like I have pressure. I started the botox again and isome times I get relieve from the spasms but not the pain my head or nose.

It has taken over my life, although every day I get up and I go to work I never look at anyone directly or laugh or smile ( I look awful when I do).

I live in Canada and if anyone knows of a good doctor that might be able to help stop or make it less or know of a different procedure that would help I would welcome the feed back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your bad experience clh.  I am on a number of forums (fora!) and have heard nothing but good about Dr Kauffman (Kaufmann?) in Winnipeg.  He certainly has the best reputation for this type of surgery and has heaps of experience too.  Wishing you the best.  If you want to connect with others who have seen Dr K then join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group.
    • Posted

Thank you !

I will call my Dr. And see if he will do a referral.

• Posted

I have sent you a private message clh.  It contains a link to a lecture given by Dr Kaufmann - one of the best I've come across.

• Posted

Thank you Roseann

I have made an appointment with my Nero doctor to go over options and I am going to bring all this information with me.

I just need to be able to put my head down with out pain or pressure

• Posted

You can self refer yourself to Dr. Kaufmann.  Also I know that OHIP will cover the surgery but not the transportation or hotel costs.
    • Posted

I will send it in a private message because links are not normally allowed in regular posts.
  • Posted

Dr. Kaufmann Winnipeg....check out the website for University of Manitoba

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.