Newly diagnosed Addison disease advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all I've 12days agof I nearly died froman Addision crisis.....I did not know I had Addisons...almost until it was too late! I was rushed to my local hospital and spent a week in Intensive care. Very scary.

I'm out the other side now thank goodness!

Anyway I'm home now and learning to deal with my condition with all the steroid regime I have to endure but it's fine it's now my life and I'm not going to dwell just use the experience as a positive and enjoy my life!

I wanted to share my pain experienceand now I'm out of hospital. I am experiencing severe pain, pins and needles, and numbness in both the bottoms of my feet! It's very painful at times and I'm on many psinkilllesuppliers. I just wondered if anyone else had experiencedone this sort of pain amd if so how long did it last? I've had it for a week now and it's really beginning to annoyou me as all I wanna do is be able to move around my house freely but I cannot currently.

Any advice greatly received. Thank you fellow Addison sufferers!

Amy Harry

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Amy

You have been thru a terrible shock. However in one sense, Addisons is no big deal. I have lived with it for over 50 years now and provided you take your Hydrocortisone every day you are as normal as everyone else. Since you in effect started via a Crisis you will understand how important it is to try and avoid them in future, and if one comes, say, even a heavy cold/sore throat or food poisoning, that you must double/treble your dose. Always make sure you mention that you have Addisons as soon as you start talking to any doctor/nurse/dentist etc and carry your Blue Card with you at all times.

Good luck and remember that tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.

John

• Posted

Hi John thank you so much for your k8bd words. Sorry for the late reply it's been a bit if a whirlwind!

I'm home now and settling into a life with Addisons. It will become send nature to me I know with regards to taking my tablets and learning to read the signs of me going down hill and I'm ready for the challenge!

It's great to have this site to talk to other fellow Addisonian sufferers.

Thanks for time

Best wishes Amy

• Posted

Just to add to 1941John's comment - also make sure you get and wear an ID bracelet or dog-tag saying you have Addisons so that if you should end up somewhere unconscious, people know what to do. [IMO, you don't need an expensive MedicAlert, there are plenty of websites that sell made-to-order gear).

Also check out the Addisons Society web site because they have lots of resources you will find useful - including what to put on the bracelt/dogtag. I don't know but maybe they have someone to tell you what to expect re the pain.

• Posted

Hi there thank you for your kind reply. Yes I have a bracelet my neighbour bought me it as as gift!

My consultant wrote down what I should put on it so that's good.

I will also check the Addisons Society too for info.

Thanks again.

Best wishes

Amy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.